Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve commodore stretched timing chain repair cost??

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Also, my understanding was that the chains stretch due to a design flaw in the chain in early VE Alloytecs, and the revised chains used from 2008? onwards fixed the problem. They use the revised chains for replacement so I don't think service intervals should affect it. I could be wrong, just going on what I've read in other posts in this forum, and what Holden customer service told me.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If this happens to me i'd rather pay a bit extra and get ALL the chains and tensioners replaced at once, rather than doing half of them and next your having a tensioner blow out and going through the whole process again, if not needing a new engine.

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
At the end of the day it is your car and you and your family depend on its reliability and safety. What is that worth ? Or trade it in and get something else.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Zero on here had his replaced at the cost of 2500 then something else happend after that and they wanted double that again. He ended up getting a 2nd engine from the wreckers FITTED with a air con regas for 2k. Engines have around 60,000ks depending I guess.

Thought Id suggest that. But thats in QLD. Pretty sure it was Wheels mags and tyres on the Gold Coast.

My car might be due soon. Holden said the timing chaine code comes up and said to keep and eye on it. But I wont bother untill she blows lol.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What do you mean Holden said, Did it log a code without the engine light coming on ?

pjcook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
My 06 VE Calais displayed the check engine light with 120k's on the clock and 3 months out of warranty, I had it checked and was told that the timing chain/s had stretched and would have to be replaced. I was quoted $2500.00 at the local dealer.

I calmly discussed this with the service manager and advised that if the engine had a timing belt I would accept that a replacement would be an acceptable outcome as belts do stretch and have a service life of around 100k, but as the Holden V6 has a chain, and it is a reasonable expectation that said chain, under normal driving conditions it would be reasonable to expect would last substantially longer than a timing belt (in actual fact I said for the life of the engine) then I requested that the chain/s be replaced under warranty. The server manager though about this and advised he would discuss with Holden and get back to me.

A couple of days later he rang and told me Holden had agreed and the chains were replaced under warranty.

I can only suggest you try this as it is reasonable to expect timing chains to last for the effective life of the engine under normal driving conditions, and letting it be known that you are aware of the under spec of the original chains used will help your case.

FYI, I had an SS exhaust, system, modified air intake on the car and a sticker on the back window from Gentech performance, so they could have taken the argument that I did not operate the car under "normal" conditions.

Call the dealers bluff as I believe that Holden know they do not stand on solid ground in refusing to repair under warranty.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
What do you mean Holden said, Did it log a code without the engine light coming on ?

Yea the engine light was on. But wasn't for the chains. ESP again. Altho they did that last time but I Q's it and she said its another part os the system, I know **** all so I said ok.
When I picked the car up they then also said its has loged the code for timing chain. So keep an eye on it. It had a miss so I didn't take it back after the 1s time untill I did the plugs. So since having it back the light has not come back on, ( TouchWood ) Just shits me of how common it is.

My car does have 205,000 on it. Looks to be a reps car before me... Apart from that its been good. Last year I did have to replace the computer as it was resetting all the time. Again took holdens word for it as I had no idea on what it was.

Bear1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
My VE SV6 is just over 2 and a half years old, 61k. Always serviced on time and not abused (still on original brake pads). Packed up in traffic the other day. timing chain has
failed and knackered the lump.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
Got mine done for $1600 here in melbourne. and they also gave me a loan car to use while mine was in there. one thing i noticed on mine was loss of power. no noise from engline ran very smooth just loss of power. did u get the chance to see the code on there Tech 2. to make sure that is the code and there not just telling u this. i was next to my car when my mech hooked up his computer and saw my codes. i went to one mech and he told me... mate u need a whole new engine... urs cant be fiixed. i knew that was crap he was just trying to get money from me. i would never go to a dealer.. would cost u heaps.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Be aware there is revised ECU software released this year for MY07 and MY08 VE V6s in regards to timing chain/camshaft crankshaft position DTCs.

I would recommend first trying the revised software before committing to renewing the chains.