Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Ve cop ute stuck in stealth mode

Mmars99

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve series's 2 ex cop ute
On Saturday, I came home; switched off completely, then turned the lock back to "accessory", so I could listen to the radio while I did some work nearby. Forgot about it, came back a few hours later, and, you guessed it, not enough moonta to start the engine. The dash lights were visible, but not as bright as usual.

My friend came to the rescue, and I jump-started it. When I drove off, the interior lights were in "Night mode": only the speedo operates; all other displays are off; radio & air-con work, but no displays; headlights fine; indicators work, but that annoying sound is gone.

Check the manual: press either of the dimmer buttons, it says. Tried one, tried the other; tried both at the same time: no joy.

The manual mentions "battery saver mode", with no mention of how to get out of it.

Search JC Forum: a few mentions of "battery saver mode", but it seems to either be -
self-correcting; or
requires a trip to the dealer.

After three days of putting up with "night mode", I got into "Engineering mode" - that's not in the manual, but thankyou JCF for enlightening me. Anyway, it says that my battery is charging between 13.7 & 14.7V (it fluctuated, even although I was only idling in "Park"), and my battery was at 100 % - very comforting, but I'm still in "Night mode", and that's not where I want to be.

When I was trying to get out of "Engineering mode", I pressed a few buttons, and for a moment, all my dash-lights came up. So, I know that they still work, and presumably I don't have a fuse problem.

Any suggestions, how to get from "Night mode", back to normal ?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
There is a circuit up behind the interior light where the toggle switch is to dim the interior lights. This may be the cause of your issues.

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
tried removing battery terminals for 30 seconds then re-fitting?

jumping it could of pissed off the computer

Mmars99

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve series's 2 ex cop ute
i cant find that circuit breaker or toggle switch only a plug ....can you explain abit more sabbath because if i unplug my interior lights it all works again except my interior lights of course so im getting closer!