Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve gearbox rebuild question

jamesve

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve calais 2008 v6
Hi all
Iv just bought a 2008 ve calais 5 speed v6
The gearbox is stuffed due to the torque conveter failing its put metal filings though the box so iv ripped the box out and the sump pan has allot of metal filings in it .
Now for that model gearbox a shop rebuild i think is about $4500 and a second hand box is $1200 .
There's rebuild kits on ebay for
$400 ( gasket & seal kit)
Or
$800 ( master rebuild kit )

Question is with the issue with the gearbox if i was to rebuild the box would just the normal gasket & seal kit be the go or would it need the full master rebuild kit

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I'd just put a second hand gearbox, hope for the best and then sell the car... These 5spd autos are pretty terrible gearboxes, and a few members on here have had their 5spds rebuilt multiple times... It's just not worth the headache...

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hi all
Iv just bought a 2008 ve calais 5 speed v6
The gearbox is stuffed due to the torque conveter failing its put metal filings though the box so iv ripped the box out and the sump pan has allot of metal filings in it .
Now for that model gearbox a shop rebuild i think is about $4500 and a second hand box is $1200 .
There's rebuild kits on ebay for
$400 ( gasket & seal kit)
Or
$800 ( master rebuild kit )

Question is with the issue with the gearbox if i was to rebuild the box would just the normal gasket & seal kit be the go or would it need the full master rebuild kit
Standard failure mode of the 5L40E. Same thing killed the 5L40E box in my old SV6. Rebuilding those boxes if finicky from what I’ve read and requires special tooling, so much so even professional rebuilders can’t put it back to a reliable state.

Id go with the second hand box and make sure you replace the torque converter with a brand new one. Realistically the torque converter should have been a service item at about 150,000kms in my opinion as the box itself is quite reliable (I got 330,000kms out of mine even after the torque converter failure) but the torque converter clutch wearing out is the weak point.