Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE keys lost - how to program?

blitz87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I lost my keys for my VE 2008 and am trying to find solutions for getting a new key, cut and programmed...

1) I dont have any other key - do I need 2 keys to program or is 1 key enough to open the door and start the engine

2) Is it easy to program and the key yourself... even if I dont have another key

3) Anyone know of a cheap place to get a program if none of the above work - ie. I rung around and locksmiths are asking around the $700 mark and that they only do 2 keys...???

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
With my last Subaru, I had the code for the key (in the owners handbook), so I could get the keys cut at almost any decent locksmith, but the coding had to be done by Subaru. Not a cheap exercise

gts33som

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
I had to get one done.
Cost me:
Key from ebay $110
To get it cut $50
Programmed @ holden $130 (I think)

But I got a free scratch from the retard behind the counter dragging her shoe on my sideskirt so I was happy..

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
yeah mate cheepest way would be to but the key from e-bay or holmart get it cut from code then holden will have to programme it for you.
this will involve a tow as you will be able to open the doors with a key cut from code but your alarm will go off and the car will be imobalised.
and you can do one key if you wish to save $

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Cost me $300 to get a spare key cut...

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
just curious, but how do you lose 2 sets of keys? (since you dont have any keys to your car now)
and as the eternal pessimist, I have to ask.... I hope you arent doing anything dodgy and require keys to a car that you dont actually own?

not trying to offend you- just asking, but as its your first post and you're asking a question that relates to car security (and youre trying to circumvent it without having to go to Holden), I hope your main goal here is saving money and not doing something else.

just sounds a little wierd that you dont have any keys to your car at all, and yet it doesnt sound like you've been to holden to find out what you should do because you had you'd be aware that holden will require access to your car to reprogram the security system- no locksmith can do that for you).

i just know that if I lost all my keys to my car, the first place I'd call is Holden.
just my 2c.

gts33som

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
My car only came with 1 key so if I lost it I would of been in the same situation.
Good thing I spent the coin and got another cut :D

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
^ reasonable explanation :thumbsup: