Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Lowering from Standard, Springs & Shocks

zac_sa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Ive been reading the forums and the listed threads are confusing with all the banter.
I have a Calais V which already has the FE2 springs. Im thinking of lowering it with King Springs

SL = Super Low (Equivalent lowering to FE2)
SSL = Super Super Low
SSSL = Ultra Low

So im thinking of going to SSL, I want to get the guard to be level with the tyre (if possible)
Currently my VE with 18" and FE2 has around 50-60mm clearance between tyre and guard.
I know im not going to close that gap completely.

So Ive 2 questions,
(1)with SSL springs, how much lower will it go?
(2)Should the shocks be changed or can I keep the current style shock?

I know I dont need to change shocks, but as the car has done over 100 000 im looking at changing them anyway so figured I may as well put the correct shocks in.

I want to avoid making the ride too bumpy though, so if the current model shocks will provide less bumps, then I'll stick with them.

CJY92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
i put sssl all round last week in my sv6, car sits flat with rear tyre being level with guards(just fit fingers between tyre and guard with the stock 18'') and front tyres have a little bit more clearance then the rear.
was told that if i went any lower i would need to change shocks, the ride is a bit more bumpy but i wouldnt change it back(feels really sporty) just have to be more careful over speed humps.

zac_sa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Oh cool,
Are you sure theyre the SSSL and not SSL?
As ive heard with SSSL aka Ultra Low, you need to get a shorter stroke shock. Also there is no lower than SSSL from what I understand.

Have any pics?

CJY92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
yea man im sure they are ultra low, kings do make one lower called sp4 (SSSSL)
I asked ozzy tyres they quoted me $450 for springs and alignment they said I wont need them, I ended up getting it done at whole sale suspension for $495 with alignment they also said I don't really need them I was prepared to buy shocks as well but they both said its not necessary.
if its the v8 you will only need ssl on the front due to it being heavier.
will upload pics tomorrow i am really happy with how it sits.
this is a good thread.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/ve-holden-commodore-2006/152423-king-springs-ves.html

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
You can change your shocks, but it will stiffen up the ride so i'd suggest keeping what you have if you don't want a harsh ride, just change the springs.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Stock shocks will give more of a harsh ride over short bodied shocks.

Depends on your definition. Lowered springs with factory shocks create a more bouncy feel about the ride, where the shortened shocks won't bounce, but feel stiffer all the same. I'm also deciding whether to change my shocks for this reason, decisions decisions.

KARTAL

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Commodore VE SV6
clarification sl is low (fe2) ssl is super low and sssl is ultra low..
i got sssl front and ssl on back with sports bumpstops (stock shokers) on my sv6 and rides fine not too harsh at all..
if yours is a v8 you will need it to be ssl front and back for it to sit like this or sssl will need shortened shockers and should sit 15-20 mm lower... i dont have any issues with scrubbing over bumps or with people in the back, dunno it this helps.. lol

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
OP, what body shape you got?

This will make a difference on whether you want to reduce rake or increase it.
For instance, I have a Sportwagon.... and I had to get the arse dropped a tad more than the front to balance it out a bit, because as the car gets lower to the tyre the difference in height from front to rear to more noticeable.

I didnt want it too low, just enough to have the tyre edge line up evenly all the way around the guard lip.

zac_sa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Ive got a Sedan.
To be honest im thinking of going SSL all round with the same model shocks.

Im just getting rid of a VS that ive lowered pretty low and although I like to drive it, its not that smooth for passengers. Also the bumpy ride has made steering rack, etc fall apart too frequently.