Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE sensor / ecu help!

Brz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve international wagon
Hi all,

This is my first post so hope it is in the right section.

I have a 3L ve commodore international wagon. My issue is intermittent reporting of the fault codes p0641 and p0697.

P0641 ( 5v reference voltage issue sensor bank 1 oil pressure or fuel tank pressure) comes on sometimes and displays engine warning light.

Sometimes after that p0697(reference voltage issue as well for bank 3, five potential sensprs). When this comes on it will go into limp home mode.

I first thought oil pressure sensor might be problem so I changed that. This didn't work and I've had it at the local mechanic who said probably ecu, took it to Holden who said probably ecu (90% sure). I then had the ecu looked at on the bench and they couldnt find anything wrong!!

I'm at a loss now and hoping someone else may have had a similar issue? If you need any more details just ask. Also I have the official Holden service manual.

Thanks in advance.

Eddie Moscone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore equip
What was the end result of this one? Did you work out the problem.?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Last seen 4 1/2 years ago,
Possible sold the car by now.

@Eddie Moscone , In your case, get it scanned and source the correct DTC's the ECU/BCM has recorded, and take it from there,
As a lot of things have changed in that time.

Eddie Moscone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore equip

@Eddie Moscone , In your case, get it scanned and source the correct DTC's the ECU/BCM has recorded, and take it from there,

I took my VE to Holden today and had it scanned. Came back with the stored code P0641 but they could find a current fault. Cost $150. As I drive home the engine light came back on so getting pretty frustrated. I’m hoping it’s not a cam shaft / reflector wheel / timing chain issue.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
It sounds like a Voltage issue,
Google the DTC and its has a few variants,
So it could be even be a Low Voltage issue, being an alternator issue,
Is the original Alternator still installed ? [that you know of] ? or has it bene replaced.

Eddie Moscone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore equip
It sounds like a Voltage issue,
Google the DTC and its has a few variants,
So it could be even be a Low Voltage issue, being an alternator issue,
Is the original Alternator still installed ? [that you know of] ? or has it bene replaced.
pretty sure it’s the original alternator.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
pretty sure it’s the original alternator.
Could be an unstable/fluctuating alternator charge supply, which can be caused by worn out brushes,
I had a similar fault with the fluctuating charge voltage on my Adventra, charging between 12.8 v to 14.4v, removed the alternator and found the brushes were worn out, I replaced the brushes and now it charges at a constant 14.4v, so there is no more out of range voltage DTC’s being created.

How many K’s has your car done ?

it could also be a faulty ground terminal,
Or a faulty plug to any of the sensors/devices.
With that being said, it has to be a sensor that requires a 5 volts supply the ECU constantly monitors,
Not a normal open/closed contact device.
The problem is, 5 volts is such a low voltage to supply & monitor, any little bit of resistance can trigger a DTC,
Give you an example, a oil pressure switch has 3 wires, 5v supply, return to the ECU, & a ground.
The ground wire picks up multiple sensors on its way back to ECU, if the ground is resistive, the ECU could recognise a fault on a engine ground wire,

In a nut shell, it could be a ground connection, and/or a sensor/device connector/plug that is providing an out of range resistance.
So possibly check all the grounds,
and the connectors, and spray them with a terminal cleaner.
Does the car drive ok ?,

I just checked another Google search, and it said a throttle fault, so there are few things to check.

Last edited:

Eddie Moscone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore equip
Could be an unstable/fluctuating alternator charge supply, which can be caused by worn out brushes,
I had a similar fault with the fluctuating charge voltage on my Adventra, charging between 12.8 v to 14.4v, removed the alternator and found the brushes were worn out, I replaced the brushes and now it charges at a constant 14.4v, so there is no more out of range voltage DTC’s being created.

How many K’s has your car done ?

it could also be a faulty ground terminal,
Or a faulty plug to any of the sensors/devices.
With tat being said, it has to be a sensor that requires a 5 volts supply the ECU constantly monitors,
Not a normal open/closed contact device.
The problem is, 5 volts is such a low voltage to supply & monitor, any little bit of resistance can trigger a DTC,
Givie you an example, a oil pressure switch has 3 wires, 5v supply, return to the ECU, & a ground.
The ground wire picks up multiple sensors on its way back to ECU, if the ground is resistive, the ECU could recognise a fault on a engine ground wire,

In a nut shell, it could be a ground connection, and/or a sensor/device connector/plug that is providing an out of range resistance.
So possibly check all the grounds,
and the connectors, and spray them with a terminal cleaner.
Does the car drive ok ?,

I just checked another Google search, and it said a throttle fault, so there are few things to check.
Thanks mate. Really helpful info. I’m super grateful for the suggestions. The car drives perfectly. There was one occasion about 6 weeks ago when I tried to start it and it wouldn’t start and instead it badly shuddered. It then wouldn’t turn over or start full stop. After a couple of minutes it started perfectly. 30 mins after leaving Holden yesterday the engine light came on. This morning I drove to work and the light was gone. I was reading last night that generally there are specific codes for Cam sensors which is not P0641 so hopefully it’s not that. .

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Where are you in melbourne ?,
I would like to scan it myself and see what codes have been created and historical codes.
And check the charge rate.

When you said it wouldn’t start,
that in its self is a seperate issue.