Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve series 2 reverse camera

lou1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve s2 sv6
Hey guys I've got a 2010 s2 sv6 and I was reading on another post . It said the iq unit already had a input for a camera on the back , does that mean I could buy any camera and it will just plug in ?. I've been thinking about getting one as there isnt much you can see when reversing

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Just check the settings on your IQ unit, and see if you can enable the reverse camera input.
If you can, then its a simple matter of obtaining a CCTV camera (Not too sure if you need PAL or NTSC as of this moment), and run a wire from the Camera, to the Video Connector on the IQ unit.
(Pin 3 is the Camera Input Ground, Pin 4 is the camera video signal).

You will probably need to source the video connector for the IQ unit, which will probably be a mission in itself. (I so far have not been able to source this for myself).

I hope this helps.

lou1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve s2 sv6
yea zerone i read your other post about it. so having the ability to plug a camera straight in is dependent on getting a wiring connector.
all those kits that suit the ve are over $500 which i dont understand when you can buy reverse cameras with lcds for $200 a connector isnt worth $300 is it?

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Hahaha... I hope not ! (Because I need to get my hands on one Lol)....
Keep in mind also that your IQ unit needs to have the reverse camera option enabled for you to change the settings in the configuration menu...
This may require a trip to Holden or someone else to enable this function.

Yeah, even the cameras are a gigantic rip off.
(I work for a security company, and we can get the same low quality cmos cameras with fixed lenses for around $5)....

I havent worked out a nie solution for the camera yet. (I previously used a front door peep hole camera in my last car, which was the exact same size as the boot key lock,
so it was a simple matter of removing the key lock tumbler, and fitting the peep hole camera).

lou1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve s2 sv6
Hahaha... I hope not ! (Because I need to get my hands on one Lol)....
Keep in mind also that your IQ unit needs to have the reverse camera option enabled for you to change the settings in the configuration menu...
This may require a trip to Holden or someone else to enable this function.

Yeah, even the cameras are a gigantic rip off.
(I work for a security company, and we can get the same low quality cmos cameras with fixed lenses for around $5)....

I havent worked out a nie solution for the camera yet. (I previously used a front door peep hole camera in my last car, which was the exact same size as the boot key lock,
so it was a simple matter of removing the key lock tumbler, and fitting the peep hole camera).

hmm how can i check that my iq unit is capable? i would have thought its auto switching and no settings for it . but in my iq the only thing i see is dvd greyed out . guess that means mine isnt enabled

with the price u can get the cameras for you need to work out a solution and start selling em at 100 a pop :p

Last edited:

lou1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve s2 sv6
sorry i dont mean to thread jack, but whilst this is here would something like this work on my 2011 ssv ute?

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

seems to be the cheapest i can find and says its genuine...

going by what it says it will work but the camera looks pretty big on that one i dont know how that would mount. it also doesnt show if it has the connector plug with it

i couldnt see where it said genuine and the line that has me worried about fitting it is
Module has instructions for programming but camera does not come with any fitting instructions

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
The reverse camera is auto switching, but there is a setting in there to turn it off.
(This setting is also used if you have park assist, as you can only have either the reverse camera, or park assist displayed when reversing, when both features have been added).

I will try and take a picture of the setting in the next week or so. (Preparing to finally fit my IQ unit to my Series I)
I still dont know a lot about the options for these things, as I have only played around briefly with 2 units (An Omega, and a HSV Maloo model).
Both have been pulled out of the car, and I have been playing with them on the bench.. So even then my experience with them operating is limited at the moment.

lou1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve s2 sv6
Great look forward to the pic . Also get to work on making some connectors :) it will be a nice money maker for you .