Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve series 2 reverse camera

nitro91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
where did you get the connector from?
did you need to enable the camera setting, and did you get a vehicle in motion mod?

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Hi Nitro91,

Try not to get too confused about series I and Series II (IQ) headunits, as they are both completely different beasts.

Series I units do not have a reverse camera input. (They only have the Rear Seat Entertainment / DVD) Video input), which means if you wish to use a reverse camera for Series I, you have to kudge the system a bit,
as the input wasnt really designed for reverse cameras.
(I.E. The RSE input has the VIM function which stops video when the car is in motion, and you need to press the AUX button to display the video, I.E. the RSE input does not automatically come on when reverse gear is selected).
There are kits for Series I head units that overcome thee limitations, (Such as VIM, and auto Aux switching in reverse) which are around $400 to $500..

For Series II (IQ) Units, this is not neccessary as they have a dedicated reverse camera input, as well as the RSE Input.
The Reverse Camera Input does not have the VIM limitation, and the Input automatically is selected when reverse gear is selected, and the camera input is switched off when taken out of reverse.
The RSE input on Series II models behaves exactly the same as Series I models, I.E. you need to press the AUX button to display video, the input works in all gears, and has the VIM function to prevent video whilst the car is in motion.

I hope this clears some stuff up for you.
(P.S. The video connectors for Series I and Series II are completely different. So is 75% of the wiring, so if you are looking at wiring stuff up for the IQ unit, DONT look at the Series I stuff, as it will confuse the crap out of you :)

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
series 1 update

My series 1 Calais v automatically switches the screen to the reverse camera when reverse is selected also the rear sensors still beep when the camera pic is showing. I used a genuine camera which I bought from eBay a year or so ago. It came with the plug to plug into the side of the head unit. I realise this discussion is mainly about series 2 just thought I would tell you my story.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
For the Series I stuff, the VDO manufactured headunits, (and some of the last Continental units) could have the reverse camera option enabled on them.
This option, along with the above genuine kit would also display the guidelines overlay (But they werent active like park assist guidelines).
The kit would auto switch to the camera when reverse was selected, and swith back to the RSE input when not.

Typically you see the guideline versions when the reverse camera has been fitted by the factory on the late series I models.
I think the guidelines were available with SW version 7.0 and up. (It wasnt available with the V5.4 headunit that I previously had).
Just more information to through in to the mix making things even more complicated Lol...

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
@ Zerone_V

so just to clear all this technical mess up in my head, are you saying the series 2 IQ units do not need the VIM disabled when using a reverse camera in the dedicated camera input on the H/U, you are only having trouble finding a male plug to fit the female connection on the unit?

sorry for the confusion, just getting a bit mixed up with all the different technical terms i dont know

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
@ Zerone_V

so just to clear all this technical mess up in my head, are you saying the series 2 IQ units do not need the VIM disabled when using a reverse camera in the dedicated camera input on the H/U, you are only having trouble finding a male plug to fit the female connection on the unit?

sorry for the confusion, just getting a bit mixed up with all the different technical terms i dont know

Yep, thats correct :)
The connector cannot be purchased from Holden, which means that either someone needs to find the source of the connector, or do something drastic like solder directly on to the IQ unit.

Last edited:

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
i think this will be the female connector then:
E3 HSV & HOLDEN VE II REVERSE CAMERA MODULE - SS CALAIS GTS | eBay

what else would it be? The seller told me the module allows it to stay on after 3km/h

He sells, in another listing one with the module + a vim module which i believe is for RSE/dvd.

Nope, that definitely does not include the video connector.
What the above module does is enables the Reverse Camera input on the IQ unit, if it hasnt been enabled already.
(I.E. if your car didnt have a reverse camera when you bought it, then the reverse camera input option will be disabled on your IQ unit).
I.E. you wont be able to turn it on, unless,
1) You take it to Holden, or someone to program the IQ unit for you to enable the option, or
2) You buy the above module, wire it up, and turn on your IQ unit.

Sooooooo to summerise,
1) If you want to use the reverse camera input on an IQ unit, you need to have it enabled in the IQ software via Tech2.
2) You will need to source the 18 Pin Video Connector to physically plug in to the IQ unit, and connect a camera to.
3) You will need to source a Camera unit (Does not have to be Genuine, can be anything that outputs composite video
4) You will need to connect the camera to your reverse lights to power the camera up when reverse gear is selected.
(Or connect to the Ignition feed somewhere if the camera flickers when powered up
5) You will then need to run a video cable from the camera, to the IQ units connector, and connect everything up.

For a Series II IQ unit, that is all you need to do.
You don't need VIM for the reverse camera,
You don't need the above ebay module if you take your car to Holden, or someone else knowledgeable like Ultimate Wiring Conversions (DoubleDip on these forums) and have the input enabled.
You don't need a specific camera (The main concern is being able to mount the camera to the car nicely).

I hope this helps.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Ok then that helps me see it more clearly haha.

Basically our only concern is tracking down the 18 pin plug to connect to the IQ unit.

I have a cheaply reverse camera I bought off eBay for my old ute which never got used, it has a positive power to connect to the reverse lights and negative, then an RCA output, basically this one:

Reverse Backup CHEAPER Color Camera 170º Night Vision Car Rear View 2012 | eBay

Now I'm wondering, will there be a way to connect the RCA to the input feed of the IQ? Would it be as simple as cutting the plug off one end and using the cable's + and - to connect to the IQ side? Or more tricky than that?

I hope I've worded that correctly, and if it would work I'd just get the rear camera enabled on the IQ and solder the connections to test it and maybe use until a plug has been found.