Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ssv has just over 200000 Kms. Should I be worried?

commocars

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs v8 ute
Hi guys need some help deciding I have been offered a great deal. But the only thing I am worried about is the car has 210000 Kms.
Ssv
6 speed manual
Immaculate condition.
High way Kms.

What I am asking is Will the gearbox let go?
Head gasket?
I understand bushes and stuff like that might need replacing that's fine. Just the engine and gearbox I am worried about.
any common problems that occur around the 200000 Kms mark ?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
ive got a mate with a 2006 ve omega with 300,000km on it, this still winds out to redline with heaps of power still, and never argues about it,

id say if its done mostly highway work, its should be a pretty good buy, thing is, if the car is being kept at almost constant temp during the day when driving, they last alot longer than stop start, only justs gets warm, then gets cold....... 5 times a day,

likewise with suspension, on highway, bushes will hold up a bit better than round towns, shock absorbers will still wear, but aslong as its comfortable, quiet, with no major bangs, squeaks and rattles you should be right

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Cars should and do run for 1000000kms if serviced looked after correctly (but seldom are)
If anything was going to go wrong with it via factory defects/problems they would have been fixed/replaced/serviced 100k km ago. 50,000kms a year is a fair bit of driving are you buying from a company that put the k's on the clock or a dealer or someone whos had it for a short period of time and reselling quickly?
Do the rta check and see how many registered owners the vehical has had. If a new registed owner (not a dealer) just bought and are now selling I would move on...

commocars

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs v8 ute
very true andyman ..

yeah thats the thing how can i tell the guy isnt lieing about all the kms being high way kms. the car looks really good drives really good sounds good. no bad noises or cracks or anyhting. from me seeing the car and knowing its a 2008 modle with high kms makes me think the car is good and should be ok to buy.

also with the information i have given you in the first post how much would you think the car is worth?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
very true andyman ..

yeah thats the thing how can i tell the guy isnt lieing about all the kms being high way kms. the car looks really good drives really good sounds good. no bad noises or cracks or anyhting. from me seeing the car and knowing its a 2008 modle with high kms makes me think the car is good and should be ok to buy.

also with the information i have given you in the first post how much would you think the car is worth?

to be honest, i have had a commodore for over a year now, im not really upto speed with what their worth,

id go on carsales and see what other cars are for sale with simialar spec, and make a judgement from the average of the lot of them,

id trust that more than redbook, its rarely ever close to the going rate of cars

Brenty88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu v8 ute
I have my vu 2002 ss and has 320000 km on it. Still runs a charm.

Cheers Brenton

commocars

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs v8 ute
yeah andyman i have looked on car sales prices are everywhere really lol
ok thanks guys for the help ill do a check on vicroads and ill go from there and decide..

any other input please post up

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Take what the previous owner says with a grain of salt.
Country/highway driven cars usually have more paint chips/paint damage on the front bumper/bonnet, as well as the odd chip in the windsheal.
Car sales are a good price guide but thats what they're asking, you can safely bet the actual sale price is $1000+ less.
Is it still on the original clutch? Any oil leaks? Is the drivers seat warn out? Has it been serviced recently?
Do the rta check online, costs $18 but can tell you some pretty good info.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Get a professional inspection done- preferably one where the car is put up on a hoist. These guys see lots of Commodores and will pick things you miss.

Just check first that it has not had any body smash repairs done. It's easy to spot repaint jobs on panels and very often repairs as well. If so pass on it and go on to the next one. There are heaps of Commodores on the market that have not been damaged and repaired.

Kms and operating hours = wear and tear regardless of whether they are Highway kms or not. If you buy a high Km car expect to fork out for replacement items.

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
Service history. All you need to know. If any vouchers arent stamped, query it and be prepared to walk away.