Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV Z Ute Upgades

Lumpy Cam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Ute
Hello all
Just got myself a very stock SSV Z Series Ute (120000klms) pretty tidy . Full service history just had the front (Brembo) and rear brakes done rotors and pads. Looking at doing full exhaust OTR and a tune (no cams would like to leave the motor stock) I am an older bloke so nothing to sic.
Just wondering what works best for the L77 as way too many choices for headers ie length, diamater, ceramic blah blah blah
liking the VCM OTR kit looks tidy. not sure about the RTD tune thingo so any guidance would be appreciated,

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Welcome to your rabbit hole!!
Sounds like you have the basics in order, OTR, Exhaust and Tune should net you some tidy results in performance and sound! I would recommend disabling the AFM when you’re getting the tune done if it’s Auto.
VCM seems to be the pick of the bunch for OTR.
Manta/Difilippo is the best option in mine and many others opinion for exhaust. Twin 2.5” system would be fine if you’re not wanting it too rowdy, having said that I don’t think the twin 3” is crazy loud either but definitely loud. Headers wise 1 3/4” will be fine can’t hurt if you get coated.
Best off doing everything at once too, if you do full exhaust alone you will eventually get a check engine light that won’t affect driving but just be annoying, plenty of shops offer what you’re after in complete package options so it’s just a matter of finding a reputable shop you’re comfortable with.
ENJOY!

Lumpy Cam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Ute
Cheers for your input was thinking Manta 3in (i might be older but still a bit of hoon now n then)
AFM delete for sure
As for the VCM RTD tuner i need to research more as to what the hell it actually dose.

Crunchy Granola

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore,77 Charger,Cagiva Raptor 1000
Hello all
Just got myself a very stock SSV Z Series Ute (120000klms) pretty tidy . Full service history just had the front (Brembo) and rear brakes done rotors and pads. Looking at doing full exhaust OTR and a tune (no cams would like to leave the motor stock) I am an older bloke so nothing to sic.
Just wondering what works best for the L77 as way too many choices for headers ie length, diamater, ceramic blah blah blah
liking the VCM OTR kit looks tidy. not sure about the RTD tune thingo so any guidance would be appreciated,
120000km ? Great score. Problem is modifying this vehicle will probably decrease it's value. Sorry about that.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I wouldn't bother with a cam. they don't do a whole lot in terms of making power where it's needed. 100 cel cats will throw a CEL unless tuned out. Plus they can cause a smell too, mainly in traffic with AC on fresh and not recirculation. If you can a afford a Difilipo then go with that. A close second is a Magnaflow but Difilipo is the bees knees. Don't go XForce they sound pretty bad, mostly P platers who say an XForce sounds good. They don't have to hear it coming up the street though.

Lumpy Cam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Ute
Ok quick update just got the car back and pretty happy with the results
Harrop OTR with 1 3/4 ss X force Headers into hi flow cats and 2 1/2 ss system hotdog centers sounds way better than i hoped
stock run was 291.5 rwhp with 461 nm then after upgrades went to 350.3 rwhp with 626.3 nm AFM deleted
drivability is way more linear power delivery is really smooth and sounds nice n deep not all raspy
very happy camper here

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the RTD tuner is a module a tuner will hire to u so that u can do the logs and send them in to be looked at and then they send a revised tune u flash in and see how it goes and replete process, u cant actually tune with that module, u need the mpvi to tune with