Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE v8 Alternator Removal & Replacement

SP112233

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais and VF Redline
Not sure haven't had the car too long. Good point I'll install a genuine one and see what happens. I don't like seeing the voltage constantly over 15v.

SP112233

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais and VF Redline
My car has the decoupler overrun clutch type pulley. Should I stick with that or buy the solid pulley type? I think the afm models had the decoupler but mine is turned off. Pros and cons of both?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i put an over run pulley on mine as its much less stress on the belts, if u have spun the alternator by hand u know the inertia then imagine it spinning at 15-20k+ rpm and then the load of the belt trying to slow it down which it cant so it just spins on the belt all the time which is all the dust on front of the alternator

SP112233

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais and VF Redline
Did you upgrade the pulley whilst alternator still in car? Looks pretty tight in there to access the bolt with an impact gun.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yes did on engine just used a little electric rattle gun to loosen the nut then comes straight off, worse case u may have to remove the fans to get more room

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yes anti clockwise to remove, its only the nut holding the pulley it will free spin once loose so they can be done up tight

TAS1981

Reaction score
Just a note to say thanks for the write ups here! Just swapped out an alternator from Holmart and the only things I had to remove were the VCM OTR and temporarily I clip the power steering reservoir from its bracket, a little wigging and that sucker comes straight out! Would be even easier if my rad was leaning back for the intake!