Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE VSS gear changing issues

sydsider

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE Omega
So ive just had a P0500 come up as the VSS circuit. Now this is interesting as ive been trying to find out what the tranny issue has been for 2 years since ive owned it. I saved something about the VSS causing shifting problems if faulty a while ago. I hadnt got around to checking it out. Pedal needs feathering slightly to get it to upshift, and then its with a clunk. And when downshifting to turn a corner, its like it goes down to first, and revs out a little then changes to where it shouldve been in the first place into second.

Its like going around a corner in first, when it should be in second in a manual tranny. Thats the best way i can describe it.

Ive just done an oil change with AC Delco dex3 and replaced the 1-2 accumulator piston with aluminum as well because its prone to cracking and causing above shifting issues.
Changed the 1-2 servo seals as thats another area that causes it.

So ive ordered an AC Delco VSS for $66.00 off of Ebay hoping its that and not the harness. As far as im aware, when theres a faulty wheel speed sensor, it shows up on the dash as ABS as i have in a video on Youtube on the VE commo. I dont have that.
No code for faulty wheel sensor.
So my VSS must have been on the way out for at least 2 years that i owned it and the rest from the previous owner/s.

Any one had any of the shifting issues with a faulty
VSS?
ABS/wheel sensor code. VSS harness.

The ABS fault on the dash.

Last edited:

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I just recently got abs fault/ stability ctrl fault and had the harness replaced as they said it is the more common cause than the actual sensors. It worked in my case and all is well again.

Reactions: Lex

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the autos have a speed sensor in the gearbox so its used for the gear shifting instead of relying on an external speed input, if the gearbox thinks the speeds are wrong it will cause the gear shifting to do odd things as its all based on your throttle input and speed

sydsider

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE Omega
I just recently got abs fault/ stability ctrl fault and had the harness replaced as they said it is the more common cause than the actual sensors. It worked in my case and all is well again.
Thanks for that info.
I dont trust any mechanic.
The wheel sensors cost bugger all and can be replaced blinfolded, but they make out like its a costly job like everything they do.
I went to a mechanic after decades and the same crap.
Trying to bullshit as usual.

Ill replace the VSS shortly and find out exactly.

Last edited:

sydsider

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE Omega
Replaced the VSS, code cleared and hasnt made a difference to anything, either before or after replacing it. Only difference is its not flashing on the dash.

If HQs werent that fricken expensive these days, id own one of them any day of the week instead of thisw piece of junk.
Even my old HT was more reliable..