Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vehicle Modifications

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
all states require the car continue to comply with the ADRs to which it was originally certified, or a later rule. it's in the rules.

some of the emissions regs only apply up to 80,000 km (and 5 years?) though.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
This is what i think the person who was argueing that shounak talked to was meaning:

You buy a brand spanking VE from Holden. Its fully 100% compliant with every ADR under the sun that it needs to be.

A year down the track, there is an amendment to an ADR which the car was covered under, something small and petty, but all the same, the car you bought which was fully compliant, now is not complying with one or more ADR's.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
it only needs to comply with the ADRs in force when it was originally certified.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I'm not arguing, I'm just conveying an argument made to me and trying to assess its credibility. I can see how to some extent it might apply.

Has anyone got any literature stating that cars must always remain ADR compliant? Not Roadworthy compliant or anything else, but ADR.

I'll type it out for you ;) (Excuse my lack of spelling and grammar, just finished a 14 hour shift after only getting 3 hours sleep)

Note 2:

Under the part, a Vehicle that is subject to ADRs when it is built or imported generally remains subject to the ADRs throughout its life. However, a vehicle need not comply with a standard if the standard is replaced by, or inconsistent with, a later standard and the vehicle complies with the later standard. Older vehicles may, therefore, be fitted with any equipment allowed on newer vehicles.

Vehicles that are modified must continue to comply with the Vehicle Standards.

(and a side note i thought i'd ad in)

ADRs do not cover
*Vehicles built before 1969
*Combination of vehicles of any age
*every safety feature for vehicles built between 1969 and 1988

Commoler

Reaction score
I heard an interesting argument being made today. A guy was telling me that ADR's only apply to new cars, so Holden, Toyota etc have to be fully ADR compliant when bringing in a new model.

He said ADR's don't apply to cars that are already on the market. Ie. Cars already on the roads aren't judged by ADR's, so when it comes to cars already bought, ADR's are not relevant.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Not true.
All cars need to be ADR compliant to the year they were manufactured.

Commoler

Reaction score
all states require the car continue to comply with the ADRs to which it was originally certified, or a later rule. it's in the rules.

some of the emissions regs only apply up to 80,000 km (and 5 years?) though.

Thats true! Why dont they enforce it??
Too hard maybe???

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
most cops would find it difficult to memorise each version of the ADRs, each of which are probably at least 5000 pages of technical mumbo jumbo.

one thing it means is you can't put a 202 carby engine in a VE commodore, even if it runs really sweet. not sure why anyone would do that though.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Links Updated.

stock_vl

wh internationals?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais 3.0L
what section exactly??

just wondering what section a motorchange comes under?:S

for victoria or nsw either one, i live on border. what ever is cheapst:)

grainqey

Reaction score
Members Ride
(u.k version) Vauxhall omega
download this: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf

read section 8 on page 3, clearly says "the overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be:

more than 15mm greater than largest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series;or

more than 15mm less than the smallest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series

theres more in there, but that pretty much sums up wheel diameter, go whatever diameter wheel you want, as long as the overall diameter isnt 15mm more or less than stock tyre diameters.

lmao!
this sounds very stupid from what some of the posts say...
no more than 15mm bigger than the biggest manufacturer recommended
wheel size?
im glad we dont have laws like that in the u.k ;)
pretty much any size wheel within reason- basically anything that can be classed as safe for normal road use.

i have to say im quite jealous of austrailia though... you have proper commodores not a watered down "omega" with the biggest engine available being a v6 :(