Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Random chat thread

23Karter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Gday all

I'm looking at buying a VF Ute and can't find any reviews that say anything about the tray.
If anyone is willing to help I would like to know : how hard/easy it is to get things in and out with Hard Tonneau cover? (larger things)
: dose the Hard Tonneau cover seal out dust and water?
: dose the Soft Tonneau cover seal out dust and water?
: if you get the Hard Tonneau cover from dealer do you still get the soft?
: is it worth getting the tray mat?
: how good/bad are the tie down points?

Thanks for any info.

23Karter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Ute Tub/Tray review

Gday guys and girls

I can't seem to find any reviews that say anything about the Tub/Tray of the VF Ute.

If anyone can help I would like to get info on.

: How hard is it to get (larger) things in and out with a Hard Tonneau cover?
: Dose the Hard Tonneau cover seal out dust/water?
: Do the sports bars bolt to the tray or the Hard Tonneau?
: How well dose the Soft Tonneau cover seal out dust/water?
: Is it worth getting the Tray Mat?
: How bad/good is the size of the Tub/Tray compared to real WORK Utes?

All and all I want a New VF Ute sooo bad but the Tub/Tray is worrying me as I may need to get a trailer as well to get My racing Kart and gear in. (sorta defeats the purpose of getting a Ute)

Thanks for any info.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Front grill badge definitely clips off and clips on. I found this out the hard way after hitting a wallaby. The wallaby hit the grill and was pushed up onto the bonnet where it scrambled it legs wildly and then slid off the car, tumbled down the road and then skipped off. Damage to the VF, cracked grill, slightly bent end corner of the bonnet where the paint was cracked and of course the grill badge had popped out and was 50 metres down the road. I went back got the badge and just clipped it in. Replacement grill according to a dealer is $425 fitted and it comes in two parts. I have not proceeded as the broken slats of the grill I have put back together and from a distance they do not look broken.

So basically to answer your question, the front grill badge does clip out and clip in. Not sure how to get it off but it clipped back easily.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Gday guys and girls

I can't seem to find any reviews that say anything about the Tub/Tray of the VF Ute.

If anyone can help I would like to get info on.

: How hard is it to get (larger) things in and out with a Hard Tonneau cover?
Hard tonneau is a prick, have to take it off for anything remotely bulky and it's a 2 person job to remove. Wouldn't recommend if you're actually going to use it as a ute.
: Dose the Hard Tonneau cover seal out dust/water?
To a point - water/dust won't enter from the top but the tailgate has an open design so water can drain out of the tub. Will still get entry (mainly dust)
: Do the sports bars bolt to the tray or the Hard Tonneau?
Bolts to the side of the tub. The hard tonneau for sports bar is 3 piece and has parts to go around the sports bar.
: How well dose the Soft Tonneau cover seal out dust/water?
Same as above re: hard tonneau. A bit of water entry at the front edge (i.e. behind the rear window) but it's not too bad. They're a ute and you can't expect them to be air and water tight like a wagon.
: Is it worth getting the Tray Mat?
I just bought some ute matting from Clark Rubber, seems to be doing the job.
: How bad/good is the size of the Tub/Tray compared to real WORK Utes?
Bit smaller than a 4x4 single cab/larger than a twin cab. Plenty of room - I measured it about 1900x1600ish I think (going off the top of my head here)

All and all I want a New VF Ute sooo bad but the Tub/Tray is worrying me as I may need to get a trailer as well to get My racing Kart and gear in. (sorta defeats the purpose of getting a Ute)

Thanks for any info.

Hey mate, see above in bold. The other thing to consider is the Commodore ute has a payload of about 650kg - don't expect to carry a lot of weight in. Didn't notice a lot of difference with about 400kg of cinder blocks in it though.

23Karter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Thanks for the help Smashfist.
If I get the car it will not be used for any real hard work mainly carrying parts and tires for my truck, GoKart and part/tools.
I think its time to get a bit of style and comfort compared to my old b2600 Mazda ute.

Phil the shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 ssv manual ute
Yeah I'd do it. I used to go bike racing with some of my previous utes. I could put two full size motocross bikes in the back with the tail gat shut. I would get them both in then remove the rear wheels. It was actually pretty easy to do and there was plenty of room left to put gear in between the bikes.
I actually had a b 2600 Mazda ute in 1994 and it had a great big tub, but it was reasonably gutless and a horrendous fuel guzzler.
A van is your best bet if you want load capacity, security and weather proof. But a vf ute is a beautiful thing.

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN-F VF CLUBSPORT SV 340
can someone tell me how the #### to turn on the fog lights in the VF clubsport R8 ?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Headlight switch pull it out.
What I do on the VE so I would think it would be the same.

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN-F VF CLUBSPORT SV 340
Headlight switch pull it out.
What I do on the VE so I would think it would be the same.

ok actually there is none ? checked it last night the fog lights only come on when you put the high beam on . which is stupid . i tried pulling the light switch doesnt work . there must be another way ?

and also does anyone know what a set of brake pads cost for my VF R8 clubsport ? either it be a set for front or rear ?