Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 valve carbon build up

Emcee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I currently own an 07 SV6 and am looking to upgrade to a VF2 SV6. I understand these have the sidi engines with direct injection. Is carbon build up a problem with these engines? The car has 170k on the clock.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Yep, all engines with direct injection only are susceptible to carbon buildup though this can be somewhat alleviated through a good service history...

What year is the VF2 SV6?
Sedan, Wagon or Ute?
Any service history? Maintenance receipts?
Private or dealership?
Make sure to get a third party inspection from a quality mechanic if you're serious about this car...

Emcee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Yep, all engines with direct injection only are susceptible to carbon buildup though this can be somewhat alleviated through a good service history...

What year is the VF2 SV6?
Sedan, Wagon or Ute?
Any service history? Maintenance receipts?
Private or dealership?
Make sure to get a third party inspection from a quality mechanic if you're serious about this car...
Thanks. 2017 sedan ex lease vehicle. Unfortunately I’m not able to drive first as it’s located 500km away. It’s through a dealership. There don’t appear to be any receipts. I’ve seen some cars (VW, Ford ecoboost) with bad build up but other makes such as Toyota have dual port and direct injection. I guess my concern is, aside from regular oil changes, what else can I do to avoid build up on the back of the valves?

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Thanks. 2017 sedan ex lease vehicle. Unfortunately I’m not able to drive first as it’s located 500km away. It’s through a dealership. There don’t appear to be any receipts. I’ve seen some cars (VW, Ford ecoboost) with bad build up but other makes such as Toyota have dual port and direct injection. I guess my concern is, aside from regular oil changes, what else can I do to avoid build up on the back of the valves?
Installing an oil catch can and cleaning the engine with carbon buildup cleaning products can also help stop or reduce carbon build-up... I would probably look at something closer to home so you can drive it first... What's your budget?

Emcee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Installing an oil catch can and cleaning the engine with carbon buildup cleaning products can also help stop or reduce carbon build-up... I would probably look at something closer to home so you can drive it first... What's your budget?
Ha too late. I ended up buying it for $20k after a big yarn with the dealer. Will give it an oil change once I get it and look for carbon cleaning products. Now I just have to hock off my 07 SV6.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Ha too late. I ended up buying it for $20k after a big yarn with the dealer. Will give it an oil change once I get it and look for carbon cleaning products. Now I just have to hock off my 07 SV6.
Well congratulations on your purchase, the VF is a big step up from the VE...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
How much was it advertised for originally?