Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH 1982 4 cyl 1.9 starfire motor conversion to 186 red holden motor, help please :)

VH HOLDEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh commodore 1982
Hi i have a 1982 VH commy 4 speed with A 1.9cc 4 cyl starfire motor. I have been told this is like a 6 cyl but only has 2 cyls cut off diffant from the opel one.

so would it be like a 6 cyl flywheel/drive plate set up anyway?. or there maybe a 10mm diff between the 4 cyl and 6 cyl sometimes in this model.
I have got a red 186 holden motor to put in her, it is out of a auto set up..

I have a 308 diff and 6cyl shock set up and hubs already and 4 cyl 4 speed in her now. was going to put 202 but didnt happen.

I figr i have to change sump to fit VH set up in over racks and maybe crossmebers?.

the holden sumps are interchangerbale with red, blue, black holden motors just have to get a blue 6 cyl vh one and then move dipstick to other side?.

Will the 186 red motor bolt on to my 4 cyl flywheel/drive plate? or do i need to get one for red motor 6 cyl set up?, and new cluch / plate?.

Also will my 4 speed gearbox work with this 186 motor. I hope it should wire up as normal?

been trying to find all info & sort out before it starts the pulling things out to see how much this going to cost. am i missing anything eals out ??

hopeing I may not have to change much

if anyone has done this please tell/shear with me some info.

please no smart remarks just need some more info thanks as it the only motor now iv got to work with.

NZ dose not have the same rulez with emissions as OZ dose. and it is a recon 186 motor and smaller then the nomal vh 6 cyl is why i got off my mate. i know it ant going to just fit in and needs some changes with red and blue parts and hope all the parts are inter changable. I do have help to put it in.

Thanks hope yous can help me out :).

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
It's an easy swap i've done heaps of them back in the day, change your front crossmember for a factory 6 one & use a commodore 6 cylinder sump & pickup then she'll bolt straight in. The 4 cylinder flywheel etc will bolt up, make sure you put a spigot bearing in the crank for the manual. Not sure what box you got but it will bolt up but wont take a beating, be nice it'll last a while. Get a 6 cylinder starter motor to as the 4 cylinder ones dont last....
For the driveshaft you'll need the front half of a 6 cylinder shaft with your original rear - you'll need to make a front exhaust pipe from the manifold to as the old red's where different to the blue blacks. The wirings a piece of cake - just replicate where the old wires went you'll just have to lengthen were necessary.......

VH HOLDEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh commodore 1982
Thanks for that iv been looking everywhere on the net & asking people for aswers and wounded how or what i will need to get. I dont know anyone who has put this motor in a vh 4 cyl most people have put aother v8 commy motor in. thanks

can i use any 6 cyl commy motor for the parts i will need to put in eg ..spigot bearing, start motor and exhaust "may come with it from mate" and by factory crossmember do you mean the one the 186 is siting on now and put in my car?. what do you mean by pickup?

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Yeah any blue or black six sump & oil pickup will work - the spigot bearing you should be able to by new pretty cheap if the 186 hasn't got one. It's just the brass bush the gearbox shaft sits on in the back of the engine. The 186 starter motors the one you want & the front exhaust pipe is what you'll need off the 186 you just might have to modify it a bit to suit with the different floorpan shape - now as for the engine crossmember that's the part your engine bolts to in your commodore. Your 4 cylinder ones no good as it has different mounts, they're pretty easy to change over.........

Vkwagon3300

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Berlina Wagon
Am in the process with this conversion. Hit a snag that the 186 engine is to far forward of the crossmember mounts.
Rather than frabricate up replacement mounts. I know the engine and gearbox can shift back. Did read that in this conversion. You need to change the drive shaft. Front half and match to original rear.
What is the 6cyl model drive shaft being referred to? The vb-vh 6cyl or the 186 shaft hk-hg?

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
6 cyl commodore shaft. engine and gearbox sit back further than 4cyl.

Vkwagon3300

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Berlina Wagon
What is the lengths of the 4cyl and 6 cyl drive shaft?