Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH SLX Drag/Street Clean up

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 202 Auto NOS Rat Rod Wagon
Day 5 - Cool early mornings ROCK!

Another day another 99c... Not when it comes to this car. I'm enjoying stripping this old girl to give her a birthday and what I'm seeing so far is really good.

With the front end stripped down to panels and a bit of chrome to decided to tackle the boot space. Tail lights no worries, bumper URGH VERY RUSTY, and wiring loom easy!

With the conditions of both bumpers being quite straight but very rusty is concerning so I am considering blasting them and painting them. Defiantly a chat with the boss is in the pipeline. No doubt he will have a great idea :)

425DB8FB-2221-4B17-8B10-9FFA14074D03.jpg

I also had a great chat with the sparkie last night to get his thoughts on the job and what he wants to do. It seems we are both on the same line except he wants to go 10 steps further... AWESOME!
All I have to do is plan for parts and work on his drag car. Door slammed chassis for a 7 sec skyline :)

NEXT: The interior strip begins.

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
Day 6 - Happy AUSTRALIA Day!

Like normal I'm up early to get an hour or so before headed to work or in today's case before heading out for a relaxing day.

So in my 1 1/2 hrs I managed to get the front seats out and centre console. All I can say is... there is a reason why I hate removing front seats. Long bolts, tight spots and pain when they won't move.

58D8D805-0D08-4BD3-AC6C-6F41AA5ABB7B.jpg

EC7C9673-21D1-4685-A86D-7A9778FC2BE6.jpg

NEXT: This interior must be out already!

Last edited:

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
Day 7 - Whollie Mollie I hate dashs!

Well today was not like any other it was bad and it got worse quickly.

Having semi pulled apart the dash before to do some wiring I was aware of some of the screws and nuts I would contend however it's the ones u can't get to that bug me. Anyway sad to say it but I broke quite a few pieces and have decided that a custom dash will be going in its place.

6B06039A-CAE8-4C2C-80D0-92CCD25F0C84.jpg

Bit of a before and after dash shot. It's very clean under there however I did find why I had water leaking onto my feet when washing the car. Defiantly a problem I'm fixing.

44F455D4-5E74-4AD7-9EF9-1D457E2E930F.jpg

Brake booster is the only thing left in the engine bay while the steering will be removed soon enough.

105C7CEB-F06A-42D1-BBF8-1FE14B4DAFD6.jpg

Yep probably the bit I am dreading the most but I have my tools ready to go.

NEXT: Wiring out, interior finished and brake booster off with a little bit of bag, tag and sorting of parts.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Dry ice that biatch it will break off in big pieces...you'll hear it crack

BOC dealer or some servo should have it.

No damage,little mess then after childish dry ice antics

Crash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais S2 V6, VS 5.0 UTE (sold), VH 355 WAGON..
Day 7 - Whollie Mollie I hate dashs!

Well today was not like any other it was bad and it got worse quickly.

Having semi pulled apart the dash before to do some wiring I was aware of some of the screws and nuts I would contend however it's the ones u can't get to that bug me. Anyway sad to say it but I broke quite a few pieces and have decided that a custom dash will be going in its place.

View attachment 189710
Bit of a before and after dash shot. It's very clean under there however I did find why I had water leaking onto my feet when washing the car. Defiantly a problem I'm fixing.

View attachment 189712
Brake booster is the only thing left in the engine bay while the steering will be removed soon enough.

View attachment 189711
Yep probably the bit I am dreading the most but I have my tools ready to go.

NEXT: Wiring out, interior finished and brake booster off with a little bit of bag, tag and sorting of parts.
Worst job ever pulling the dash out. I took mine out of my wagon and it was a couple of years before it went back in so i had to try and remember how it all went in. lol

All in all its looking good mate. Keep the updates coming.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Have nightmares about repairing/refitting sle dash...was already broken in several places & no replacements available in dark blue.

Had it in/out a few times fixing dodged wiring & now gone back in for round 3 to hide it all

Lose those airducts just keep baby ones under windscreen vent shove in tiny $10 12v marine hairdryer/demister for rego..weighs stuff all.

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
When I removed it last time I broke the LH outer vent. Sadly when removing it this time I broke the right and a couple of other sections. I am going to speak with the fabricator at work about doing a custom fully rolled Ally dash.

Up here we don't require any of the old ventilation/blowers etc. We are lucky that way that I can now strip that entire area clean including the inlet box which is still mounted in the photo. My plan was to keep it as original as possible but it looks like the race car theme will come out.

Thanks for the recommendation of dry ice. Sadly building my house and doing these repairs at the same time is cutting my budget pretty badly so I'll try a couple of sections with the heat gun before grabbing some dry ice :)

Hope to get back out there tonight and finish the dash, backseat, parcel shelf and wiring loom.

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
Day 8 - The strip is done FOR NOW!

So the engine bay, interior, boot and underbody are all stripped to the point I want it to be. You may ask why are the doors, bonnet and boot still on? Well my plan is to work front to rear repairing things in full as I go.

B350771B-D910-40FC-9454-FA200FC5DDB9.jpg

Anyway next step is to save some money, order some parts like the fuel and brake lines with all the fittings and a set of harnesses. Harnesses are only future thinking for the driver. I found racing last time I got thrown around the seat with the 100 shot so 150 shot and double the previous engine power she will be a fun ride.

Well until next time (Tuesday night) have a good one! I'll be at trade school :)

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
Dry ice that biatch it will break off in big pieces...you'll hear it crack

BOC dealer or some servo should have it.

No damage,little mess then after childish dry ice antics
Kaboom!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just thought this would be useful for anyone following my build before doing theirs...

TAKING REAR SEATS OUT

Ok I had to look it up because initially I thought there would be bolts to hold it in but no.

1. Push center section of lower seat base towards the rear of the car until u feel it come loose/pop off the clip.

2. Move to the left/right section of the seat base and push it towards the rear of the car as per step 1.

3. Seat base should now remove easily by lifting the front base section upwards and pulling towards the front of the car.

4. There are two small tabs on the bottom corners of the back section of the seat. Bend these upwards to allow it to move more freely.

5. Push the seat upwards and pull towards the front of the car. This will allow the seat to pop off of the metal tab underneath. The seat should now come out easily.

**This was written by memory**

Correct step 5 thank u :)

Last edited: