Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Anit Hoon laws have gone to far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
Everyone whinging about 'Hoon' laws.
Please, unless you live in Bendigo 'The Hoon Capital' then you have no idea as to the length the local TMU is willing to go to get drivers out of cars.
You'd think we had a 'safe-city walk everywhere' policy with the amount of people being declared 'hoons' and unfit to drive.

I have seen old women being driven home in the squad car, and having thier cars put on tilt-trays.
There must be something in the water, what with the amount of old, young and middle aged people alike being stung by overzealous constables, with way to much time on thier hands.

You should see the 'stings' they have on jaywalking!

The Police in this town are taking things way to far.
I mean yes, idiots who drive stupidly, drunk, or unlicensed SHOULD have thier cars impounded for 30days. But nobody deserves to have thier pride and joy crushed.

Everyone saying 'grow up', 'wait till your off your p's'. Come down/over/up here. $10 says your good-looking commodore is off the roaad within the week, regardless of what sort of license you have.

The laws that were there to begin with were pretty strict. These new ones are over the top.
Even Bob Cameron doesn't agree.

If the government wants to stop teenages killing themselves and thier mates by being idiots, then stop the parents buying them new cars.

I think it would be fairer if before you got your license you had to go through a defensive driving course, and you only got 1 attempt at your license within a 12month period, if you don't pass, you don't get it - better luck next year.
And limit them to 4cyl Daewoo's or something. A V6 (or L6) is to much power for the uneducated regular young driver.

Even if there wasn't a restriction on what car you should be able to drive, but a compuslory speed restricter fitted to EVERY new drivers vehicle for the first 12months, say 110kph......

Anyway thats my 2cents, Im sure some hero will flame me.

It is merely my OPINION and based on what I have seen.

Cheers.

You want to go fast, keep it on the track.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Not everyone, I think hoon laws are daft. I also don't think "the law is the law" suck it up. Just because it's the law doesn't make it right or we'd still hang kids for stealing apples. Confiscation of vehicles is unfair as everyone is punished widely differently for the same offense. If I "hoon" in a $200 dollar unsafe rusted out heap and have it confiscated, that's my extra fine.. $200. If It "hoon" in a new $150,000 walkie my extra fine is $150,000! I could even be a parents car. Where hooning can be as simple as a bit of a screech of your tyres or stepping out a bit in the wet, to driving at 350Km/h. Laws that do not take into account the severity of the offence are just stupid. Everyone makes mistakes and that mistake needs to be judged according to the severity of what occurred. This sort of stuff has always happened and always will, 30 years ago it wasn't even an issue, not even 20 or 10. It's just the new witch hunt. :axe:

Not to mention they are going on the hooning bandwagon again when the guy wasn't even supposed to be driving, just like a few of the last bad ones. They still do it no matter what.

No point arguing in here though:) Just my 2 bobs worth. Carry on! :blah blah:

From what I understand they are currently impounding cars for more serious type stuff like chucking skidz and high range speeding offences (45 km/h + over the limit). Which bit of that is not right?

I haven't heard of any suggestion that non roadworthy compliant cars would come under such legislation by themselves. That is delt with via separate legislation that gives the owner toe opportunity to rectify the problems or face the car being de-registered.

Reaper

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
^^^^ You are given 7days to rectify the un-roadworthy issue, after that your car becomes defected, and you are unable to deal with vicroads until it is fixed and paid for.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
^^^^ You are given 7days to rectify the un-roadworthy issue, after that your car becomes defected, and you are unable to deal with vicroads until it is fixed and paid for.

I think it depends on what is defective. Some things have 7 days but if there is a serious issue the car can be put off the road there and then and must be towed.

Reaper

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah. Im talking non-immediate issues.
Some of the things around here are over the top though, like a mate of mine got asked to hold his windscreen washers on until they ran out so they could defect the vehicle (it already had 2 things, and they needed the third to warrent the defect notice).

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
No, it's not.. If I earn $20,000 a year and get a $2,000 fine it's %10 of my yearly income. I might not do it again.. If you earn 2,000,000 a year $2000 is a night out. A pittance. It's extremely fair and needs to be like that if fines are a deterrent not just a revenue raiser.

You are deluding yourselves if you think thats fair. Doesn't matter anyway, because unless you own the car outright (not owing any to the bank or any of your mates) the car cannot be crushed, the government would not come between a contract that way, as it would underpin the legal system.

:beer chug:

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Great! So we have moved to a society that punishes the innocent for the wrong doings of others when they cannot possibly know what is being done and you're fine with that.. While we are doing this maybe we should visit the sins of the father onto the sons for the next 7 generations! Lets get Old Testament on our citizens arses as well.

I agree with you here. Like that man with a aston martin or similiar, took his car to a workshop to get repaired, the mechanic got caught doing 160km/h and the car was impounded.

Hardly fair, how would you all like having your car serviced at holden or similiar, come back and find it's been impounded and a fine in your name. :hmmm:

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Only problem I can see with crushing cars is that if someone knows they're on their last strike they will NOT pull over for the police, and this will have repercussions of it's own...
Just a thought.

Yep exactly, I know I would.

Australian LS1 and Holden Forums

Check this thread out, he was accused of doing 207km/h down a freeway, had his car impounded, he was fined and was accused of being a hoon and lots of other nonsense, its guilty till proven innocent!!
He had to spend $12,000 in legal fee's at court to prove that he wasn't speeding and that it was complete bullshit. The case got thrown out, and recouped his losses, but he still had lost days at work and tarred with 'hoon'.

This shows how f**ked this is, as it could happen to anyone. Anyone thinking "dont be stupid and you have nothing to loose" you are deluding yourselves, this guy wasn't doing anything wrong, if you drive a commodore and a cop with a vendetta happens to chance upon you... your a 'hoon' regardless if you were doing anything wrong or not and will have your car impounded, or worse crushed.
:bomb:

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
^^^ As I said earlier it doesn't matter whether your a hoon or not. Majority of the 'hoons' in Bendigo aren't, its just the ones that are that you hear about.

Something needs to change.

sheepz

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SV6 manual
I just think it comes down to the generation..... Look 10 years ago plus did we have scholl zone speeding ? No because people made sure were their kid was at all times and how many kids did you see screaming I WANT THIS etc, F all.

The media is spamming not lies but diverting away from what actually happened and the public believe that what you read in the paper is 100% true which is a load of %$*^. So when the public get angry they run to the government and instead of actually thinking of the best way to fix the problem they're jumping on anything because they don't want to lose the next elections.

I do think its funny tho, new cars speedos aren't 100% correct, nor is the read out from a radar, there’s numerous things that can effect the speed.

Just like there is numerous reasons for a crash but the media seem to pick out the hot topic eg hooning.... It's only been around for a few years but before then when would you read that a car crash was because he was doing 100km over instead of drink driving.

i dunno my 2 cents is can't blame the government when the media is the one putting all the focus on the areas.... If it wasn't in the news who would kick up a fuss to the government.

We just need better driving education eg advance driving school with getting your P's before harass penalties are given out.

a lot of junk prob doesn't make sense oh well flame away

Status
Not open for further replies.