Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Driving high powered vehicles on P's for work.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys and girls,

Just need some help understanding something.

Here is a probationary prohibited vehicle exemption application form from VicRoads website:

appp.jpg

Now that section that I have circled in red is the part I need help understanding.

"No exemption is required from VicRoads if the probationary driver is driving an employers probationary prohibited vehicle in the course of his or her employment and at the request of his or her employer or where there is an ABN is force in relation to the persons business."

Does this mean that if you are on your P's, you can drive a probationary prohibited vehicle if your employer owns the vehicle only? Or can you also legally test drive customers cars that are probationary prohibited vehicles if you have your employers permission?

Reason I ask, my employer lets me road test customers cars before/after I work on them, for example, if I change brakes, change over engine, or if I get asked to listen for a noise that a customer is complaining about, but he also tells me that if it is a V8, Supercharged V6, Turbo 6 Cylinder or similar, to take that application form with me incase I get pulled over and questioned.

Any help will be appreciated to help me understand what they mean exactly, as I don't want to risk getting fined for driving a high powered vehicle when i'm not supposed to. I know i'm not allowed to drive my own vehicle on my P's but this is different.

And also, I don't want to start an arguement on this subject, I just would like some help with the matter.

Cheers,
Ben.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
I'd give VicRoads a call, but the way I read it, is that an exemption is not required if there is business been conducted under an ABN. You'd just need a declaration from your boss to say that the vehicle is been driven for employment.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hey guys and girls,

Just need some help understanding something.

Here is a probationary prohibited vehicle exemption application form from VicRoads website:

appp.jpg

Now that section that I have circled in red is the part I need help understanding.

"No exemption is required from VicRoads if the probationary driver is driving an employers probationary prohibited vehicle in the course of his or her employment and at the request of his or her employer or where there is an ABN is force in relation to the persons business."

Does this mean that if you are on your P's, you can drive a probationary prohibited vehicle if your employer owns the vehicle only? Or can you also legally test drive customers cars that are probationary prohibited vehicles if you have your employers permission?

Reason I ask, my employer lets me road test customers cars before/after I work on them, for example, if I change brakes, change over engine, or if I get asked to listen for a noise that a customer is complaining about, but he also tells me that if it is a V8, Supercharged V6, Turbo 6 Cylinder or similar, to take that application form with me incase I get pulled over and questioned.

In your situation I believe the exemption would apply.

Reaper

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
for work purposes a p plate can drive high powered vehicles during the course of there employment , this covers test driving cars , transporting cars from sales to business , picking up customers cars and delivery them , if the said vehicle is owned by your boss or is a company car then yes platers are legally able to drive them , if the said vehicle is left in the care of a business conducting service work or repairs then the young driver as a company employee is covered , been thru this with vic roads and local police only two years ago to ensure our younger workers where covered .

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I'd give VicRoads a call, but the way I read it, is that an exemption is not required if there is business been conducted under an ABN. You'd just need a declaration from your boss to say that the vehicle is been driven for employment.

Yeah thats what I thought. Instead of writing up a declaration from my boss everytime I need to road test a vehicle, do you think that just calling my boss when if I get pulled over and letting the police speak to him would be enough, or would I need the form signed and dated?

In your situation I believe the exemption would apply.

Reaper

The way I read the bottom left of that form, I should be allowed to drive my own vehicle to and from work. But, only if there is no other method of transportation.

Now I drive 240kms a day to and from work (120kms each way), and I live in the middle of nowhere, so public transport or taxi isn't an option. But the way I read the part circled in red, makes me think that it can't be a vehicle I own, just an employers vehicle or customers vehicle. I am mainly just asking about driving customers cars. The only V8 that my boss owns is a HZ Caprice but thats not a work car.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
for work purposes a p plate can drive high powered vehicles during the course of there employment , this covers test driving cars , transporting cars from sales to business , picking up customers cars and delivery them , if the said vehicle is owned by your boss or is a company car then yes platers are legally able to drive them , if the said vehicle is left in the care of a business conducting service work or repairs then the young driver as a company employee is covered , been thru this with vic roads and local police only two years ago to ensure our younger workers where covered .

Ah ok, so I don't need to carry that form around with me, as long as I tell them that I am road testing a customers vehicle and that my boss gave me permission then it should be ok. And if they want proof, I can call my boss and put them on the phone to him?

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
i'd say just a generic cover letter would be fine. just on company letterhead, signed by the boss. wouldn't imagine you'd need to have a different note everytime you go out.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
i'd say just a generic cover letter would be fine. just on company letterhead, signed by the boss. wouldn't imagine you'd need to have a different note everytime you go out.

Yeah thats a good idea. The only thing that would change is that date, so I think what you said should be alright. I'll see what happens anyway, if I get pulled over and they say that I need more proof or something then they can explain to me what they want.

fyfee

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY II Calais
Make sure you put your P plates up on every drive though

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Make sure you put your P plates up on every drive though

Yeah of course. I do that on any car I drive on the road, you get fined even if you don't have one P-Plate up (rear but not the front etc).