Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] (P1) Laws Question!

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
The coppers you spoke to in passing were probably general duties uniform ones who probably don't give a damn about traffic stuff. Us traffic fanatics are rather hard to come by sometimes as the general belief is that traffic offenders aren't "real crooks". So really they wouldn't know what they're talking about anyway.

The information so far is correct that you are allowed one passenger between 16 and 21 (inclusive). Any passenger between those ages doesn't count if they're a family members. The excuse of, "Um, ohhh, yeah he's my cousin" doesn't cut it, nor does he's my brothers, mates, dad's girlfriend. In other words you're allowed to drive younger brothers and/or sisters to school or footy etc.

However.... if there's a fully licensed driver seated in the front next to you, then all bets are off and you can load the car up with as many passengers between the restricted ages as you like. Therefore if you can get someone with a full licence in the car, get them in the front and you can take everyone.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
wow, i was unaware of the fully licenced driver in the front passenger seat rule, not that i'm on P1's but that sure is interesting.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
The coppers you spoke to in passing were probably general duties uniform ones who probably don't give a damn about traffic stuff. Us traffic fanatics are rather hard to come by sometimes as the general belief is that traffic offenders aren't "real crooks". So really they wouldn't know what they're talking about anyway.

The information so far is correct that you are allowed one passenger between 16 and 21 (inclusive). Any passenger between those ages doesn't count if they're a family members. The excuse of, "Um, ohhh, yeah he's my cousin" doesn't cut it, nor does he's my brothers, mates, dad's girlfriend. In other words you're allowed to drive younger brothers and/or sisters to school or footy etc.

However.... if there's a fully licensed driver seated in the front next to you, then all bets are off and you can load the car up with as many passengers between the restricted ages as you like. Therefore if you can get someone with a full licence in the car, get them in the front and you can take everyone.

Exactly. I got done travelling 900meters from my Church to my house with a 16 and 17 year old mate after having my Red P's for 3 months.

My friend was driving me and her boyfriend through Greensborough (I'm 19 - her boyfriend is 22) and we get pulled over by a local copper just after we passed them pulling out of Greensy Police station. He says that she is violating the Peer Passenger law by having 2 people in the car, that only 1 person between 16-21 and any other passenger must be an immediate family member. I told him he was wrong and that my friend was completely in the clear, however as he started writing out the ticket I kept persisting to try and disuade him from writing a false infringement, told him to make sure he understands the law fully before he starts handing out infringements under it......and had an argument about it with him...he ended up tearing up the ticket and walking off...

Therfore, it shows, some cops (as VicCop stated) who don't know much about traffic laws will try and get you for it. Make sure you know exactly where you stand, because cops can be wrong at times as well, and if you don't know yourself, you could be forfeiting money and points when you needn't.

In summary:

1 person between 16-21 (if you have a fully licensed driver, then you can fill your car with people of all ages)
Immediate family members do not fall in the above bracket - so you can take your twin 16 year old siblings and your 17 year old other sibling at the same time also.

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
Some coppers are really cool though. Like the other night i was sitting at the servo after filling up having a bite to eat and asked them if they would pop a few bangers up the road for us (Had a friend with me). Good time.

VL-EXEC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
You can also carry any amount (up to what the car can legally take) of passengers between 16-21 IF an "experienced driver" is sitting in the front passenger seat. I assume "experienced driver" would mean someone on a full license.

can you show us where it says that on the vic roads site?

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
apparently coppers cant ask passengers for id because they were getting sued for asking underage-rs. this is from friends friends friend though.

so how can they get the information out of people?

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
apparently coppers cant ask passengers for id because they were getting sued for asking underage-rs. this is from friends friends friend though.

so how can they get the information out of people?

Not true at all. An officer is allowed to request proof of identification at any time for any reason. You are legally obligated to give your name and address at least verbally if you have no ID on you. The line is drawn at searching a person or property, that is when they need a reason to search. Officers need to enforce the passenger restrictions, so they need to be able to find out ages.

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
can you show us where it says that on the vic roads site?

Yeah thats actually true. Ive read it online. Not 100% sure if its on Vic Roads website but ive read it before. Cops told me that aswell.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
what happens if a 16yr old says they're 15 and have no ID?

If they have no record with the police, Do the police have anyway of finding out? (That doesn't need more effort then its worth).

Or do they just assume the kid is lying?