Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Stage 4 water restrictions

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
Stage 4 bans set to bite

Chris Tinkler, State politics reporter

February 25, 2007 12:00am
Article from: Sunday Herald Sun

UNPRECEDENTED Stage 4 water restrictions in Melbourne -- including total bans on outdoor watering by residents -- are expected to come into force on May 1.
Despite a sprinkling of rain around Melbourne yesterday morning, including 16mm at Thomson Dam, storages continue to decline.

With little rain forecast over the next week and Melbourne's reserve plummeting towards a third of capacity, experts warned Melburnians to brace for the worst.

The tough new bans would see all watering of lawns and gardens outlawed, turning suburban Melbourne parched brown and costing the state's nursery and turf industries up to $100 million.

Bans on all watering of sportsgrounds -- except for professional clubs -- would also hit grassroots sport hard.

A ban on car-washing -- except with recycled water -- under Stage 4, would finish the $500 million Victorian industry, Australian Car Wash Association spokeswoman Diane Ross said.

Water Minister John Thwaites said yesterday laws might be overhauled to require more industries to make savings -- to save the car wash industry from collapse.

He said heritage parks, such as the Royal Botanic Gardens, would still receive some exemptions under Stage 4.

Melbourne's water storages -- dropping about 1 per cent per fortnight -- were yesterday down to 34.5 per cent.

With the trigger for Stage 4 at 29.3 per cent, Mr Thwaites said: "It's unlikely it will come as early as April 1, but if we don't get much rain there's certainly more chance of it being May 1."

The weather bureau said the chance of higher-than-average rainfall in Victoria from March to May was 45-55 per cent, with the El Nino effect, which contributed to the 2006 drought, over.

http://www.news.com.au/sundayheralds...2-2862,00.html

I find it deplorable that we're staring down the barrel of stage 4 restrictions yet a temporary pool is still being set up at Rod Laver Arena for a one off swimming competition.

Govenment hypocrisy at it's worst when we already have a perfectly capable aquatic centre! :ranting:

Rishy

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Nissan GU Patrol
i fully agree with you. its the stupidest idea ever. They tell us were not aloud the fill up our own pools but there they go using millions of litres of water. smart cookies they are!:realangry

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry about the thread title. Was meant to read Stage 4 restrictions. Maybe a mod could change it?

Yep very hypocritical. My olds can't fill up their poxy little inflatable pool yet Bracksy can do whatever he wants. I hope he uses a bucket to top it up as per stage 3 guidelines! :shooting:

Rishy

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Nissan GU Patrol
lol! i was gonna mention the bucket, which is also a stupid idea. I wonder how the come up with some of there idea's?!:bang:

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah obviously some real bright sparks work in the environmental department.

Watching bracksy fill an Olympic sized swimming pool with a bucket would be priceless. :yeah:

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
People without rain water tanks gonna not be able to wash their cars. I think we can't even go to the commercial cleaners as well, correct me if I'm wrong.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
It is being filled with recycled water.

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
It is being filled with recycled water.

No they are not as they are saying class A recycled water is not suitable to drink or swim in it.They are filling the pool up with pure 100% drinking water.
What a waste when we are running out of water.