Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC]: VE A6 224/230 .050 114LSA Cam owners?

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
I'm pretty keen on getting a 224/230 .050 114LSA cam to suit my no stall VE SSV.

I just wanted to know if anyone on here has this cam (or similar) in their car without a stall and how it feels to drive?

Ideally, I'd love to meet up with someone who has this setup to show me the idle note and how it drives in slow traffic situations. I'm not looking for someone to take me for a joy ride, as I understand adding a decent cam increases power and don't need proof of this.

I'm just trying to work out if this is what I am after, or whether I need to go the hi stall converter route to satisfy my wants.

Happy to throw in a bottle/case of something you like for helping me out.

Thanks in advance.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Just get a stall converter... I purposely got a small cam (219/224 @ 113) to avoid getting a stally and because my tuner didn't want to put anything larger in with putting a stally in.

I wish I got a bigger cam and stally... I sometimes wish I had a stally with this cam as even the minor pushing in traffic is annoying.

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
The cam i'm looking at is the "cam of choice" the Pontiac G8 guys are using without a converter.

As far as what I've read, a good tune will stop pushing at idle speeds etc.

I really want to see what a car with this cam behaves like before I commit to it. I thought I may as well find out first hand from someone who's been down this path before trying it myself and being disappointed.

My overall aim with doing a cam is to increase torque across the board, and get an idle note with more lope. I'm not chasing 1/4 mile times, nor am I chasing big rwkw numbers.

I have the opportunity to buy a low km TCE 2800 stall for a good price, but I'm not sure if a big cam (228/239 for instance) is what I really need...

maxmod

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V Wagon
I know i said this before but i'd be happy to show you my car and you can see what it's like you would need something to compare the cam your looking at against anyway.

Yes my car has relatively big power but it's the driveability that's why i choose the cam/stally package.

It drives more like a standard car than my car did with an otr exhaust a 3.7 diff gears.

There is zero push unless your foot is only partially on the brake which is fun.

Acceleration is very smooth right through the rev range but around town it would be easy to stay under the radar have minimal police attention i can easily crawl to the speed limit without the converter flarring or anything silly like that.

Speed humps aren't a drama either the car will crawl over them with no throttle just like a standard car.

If the money is the problem then that's fair enough but it sounds like your more after driveability. I doubt a car with that size cam would drive as easily and smoothly as mine without a converter.

etrocket

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv ute
Cam with no stall = slow as **** between 1000-3000 rpm.

Cam + stall = good combo

These cars are nearly 2 tonnes, you need as much power down low to get them going. Explains why people put cams with stock stall and run 13 seconds down the quarter

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
Fair enough. From everyone I've spoken to, it seems like stalls the only way to go. Now I'm just hanging out for someone who's willing to take me for a spin on their cammed and stalled car. Would like to know what I'm in for with regards to everyday duties.

maxmod

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V Wagon
I am in Notting Hill Pm me if you would like me to show you what my Cammed stalled car drives like. A stall for everyday use is awesome no complaints here i was hesitant at first like i think most people are who haven't been in a stalled car.

I'm not sure how long i will have the car as a mate reversed into me on the weekend so it might be in the panel shop for a couple of weeks.

i have a 229/233 clive cam .595thou of lift at 113LSA

etrocket

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv ute
Max mod - did you buy dcvinu old car?

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
Max mod - did you buy dcvinu old car?

Max mod - check your PMs.

I'd like to see how a cammed car behaves in normal situations. From what I've read it's fine if you match your stall to your cam appropriately.