Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

visual differences between t5 and getrag?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Litre, VZ SV6
Hey guys,
I recently bought a vn manual for a slab (I know right, I didn't think it happened anymore either). He said it has a special 5 speed from a vs. Now I only bought it to put it in my vr, so to get the right conversion parts, I need to know which gearbox it is. What are the visual markers that indicate what gearbox it is? And what parts can I scavenge from the vn to make the conversion a bit cheaper? I don't know yet whether its a series 1 buick or later, I'm picking it up tomorrow. Cheers.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
The getrags shifter is a linkage style and the T5 shifter goes straight in to the box. The getrag also is one piece and the T5 has a separate bell housing, the getrag has getrag stamped on the box.... The T5 uses a cable clutch and the getrag uses a hydraulic

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The Getrag also uses a hydraulic clutch with a master cylinder while the T5 uses a cable clutch, look for either one of those.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
All of the above and visually if you have them side by side (or even look under a car) the Getrag has the graph/grid pattern housing (very Euro) and the T5 doesn't.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Litre, VZ SV6
Cheers guys. I can look like I know what I'm doing now, haha.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
most obvious is getrag has external shifter and t5 has internal one.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Depends what's in front of it but generally the T5 is regarded as stronger. More importantly it's a **** tonne cheaper all round when it breaks.