Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK 253

Daniel commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hey guys, looking at buying a vk berlina factory 6 but has a 253 v8 in it. My question is can I get it registered as the vk never came out with the 253? Located in Sydney Australia thanks guys

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Best to speak to the roads authority for a definitive answer Daniel

H

harrop.senator

I highly doubt it due to emissions as the 253 was deleted in the vh and the vk was first of the 304s for group a reasons but i think they also needed and emissions overhaul may have been the vl but i know they started getting stringent round those years. In theory being an 85 you could weld a cat in and have better emissions then a factory 304 from that year but i dont know if the government will see it as okay as that would imply they understand logic.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. tell 'em its a 308 (which was available on VK)

end of problem ;)

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
You would have to ask a Sydney sider for an answer thats worth anything as other commodores of that time had extra emission controls for NSW it may be hard to get it rego'ed If it has the same manifolds and the rest of the emission control as the 308 it may be all right. Does the ADR plate on a VH have the same requirements as the VK or is there extra ADR's on the VK. Not that Ive seen a vk that had its emission controls working in the last 10 years.

Daniel commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I've contacted afew mechanics that do blue slips and they have all said to me aslong as it has all the emission components hooked up and working it should be fine to register

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
In the past rta would have said no for older 253 into vk & not in computer system yada yada.

These days if pass roadworthy & new mob that took over from rta give less of a fcuk I'd say good chance thong slapper will be allowed atleast with my experiences....just smile & be polite,one of the girls will sort it lol