Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK Door Adjustment

Point05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Hi guys, new to forum… which I must say appears to be a lot more information based, which is great.

Having a nightmare of a time trying to adjust door strikers on my VK so that the doors close flush and open and close with expected ease.

Previous forum threads suggest this is a simple adjustment by moving striker around. Assuming door otherwise appears correctly aligned, is the striker the only cause of the problem and is the only fix? Does the latching device in the door also need adjustment… if it can be? Will wear from the latch or striker cause problems?

Cheers
Shaun

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hi guys, new to forum… which I must say appears to be a lot more information based, which is great.

Having a nightmare of a time trying to adjust door strikers on my VK so that the doors close flush and open and close with expected ease.

Previous forum threads suggest this is a simple adjustment by moving striker around. Assuming door otherwise appears correctly aligned, is the striker the only cause of the problem and is the only fix? Does the latching device in the door also need adjustment… if it can be? Will wear from the latch or striker cause problems?

Cheers
Shaun
Do you have new door rubbers, if so, this will make a considerable difference whan trying to adjust doors.
Also, open door and lift up and down.
If there is movement in the hinges then start by replacing the hinge pins.
Once they are replaced THEN start adjusting the striker.

Point05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Do you have new door rubbers, if so, this will make a considerable difference whan trying to adjust doors.
Also, open door and lift up and down.
If there is movement in the hinges then start by replacing the hinge pins.
Once they are replaced THEN start adjusting the striker.
They are

Cheers
Shaun
they are new…. But old. If that makes sense.

Point05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
The door movement up and down is marginal. I would consider it almost insignificant… but maybe it’s not.

I don’t understand how the pins could effect the lateral movement of the door. Shouldn’t they only need replacement if there are longitudinal issues?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Don't know about the pins without being there but if you are happy with them,
next I would suggest would be wait till summer and do it outside so the new old rubbers can soften a little (Unless it is urgent to do them now ?)
or at least wait for a warm day and work outside if at all possible.

Point05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
maybe it is just the rubbers. i replaced them years ago, but have only seen a few hundred k's.
if i loosen the striker a little and close door with handle open, then push gently against the door, it will move perfectly flush. once i remove the pressure, it moves back out.

thing is, the striker is at its most center of car position. short of making the hole on the body work larger, it cant move any more.