Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk SL 1985 3.3l IDEAS?

l Stuey l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 1985 3.3l
Picked up at VK 1985 model, 4 spd manual, 3.3l - not fuel injected.
car is perfect condition, no rust what-so-ever, interior is blue, perfect condition.
113k on speedo, motor runs beautiful.

Planning to keep it as 6cyl manual, anyone got any ideas what I can do to this little motor to get it going hard?

My ideas so far are triple su's, lightweight flywheel, bore out with high ratio rockers/ better con rods etc to suit, dunno about changing cam over though but input welcome.
Heard that there are dramas with triple SU's and the black motor 12port heads compared to red and blue 9port?

Ive had limited experience working on cars, any and all advice appreciated. Would a strip down blue print motor etc be any good?

Got between $5k and $20k to throw at it. Thanks.

And before anyone says my time is better spend just buying a new car or different car, ive chosen the VK because I CAN, and im doing it for a little fun. On side note, got complete garage full of all tools, complete stripped down and cleaned pile of vt commodore parts, vs commodore parts (literally stripped the car down to a shell, cut the shells up and scrapped em. Left with many many parts

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Rb30de. Thatd still be a 6cyl.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
V6 conversion? :hiding:

I would consider an efi conversion on the 202 using the v6 delco system. I did one for an uncle, drove the engine on the std efi system and then after the conversion and it had a fair bit more power without any drive ability issues you get with SU's and other carbie engines that have had mods.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
there's lots you can do to these engines to extract some respectable power.

Triple SU's or Webers are a fairly awesome bit of gear on a 6 pot, but a pain in the arse to keep in tune.
If it was my project I'd be ditching the EST distributor for a blue motor distributor, VK EFI intake, hook up a VN/VP Delco 808 ECU, upgrade the cam (nothing radical), some mild port work to the head, up the compression, alloy timing gears

Should make for a reasonably tough 202!

l Stuey l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 1985 3.3l
are you set on keeping the straight 6?

you say "complete garage full of all tools" you got a digital scale, cc'ing guage, vacuum/flow meter, dial indicator, gas sniffer, torque/force wrench that reads 1NM or below, a lathe etc?

or do you mean a socet set and an a bench drill?

Yeah going to keep the 6cyl engine, got low kms on it so going to use the motor's potential. Anyway everyone goes for the brock replica so im keeping it this way.

Yeah ive got a couple of socket sets, no I don't actually have a bench drill, and ive got most of the tools required, if not I got a mate with anything I haven't got.

If I went down the EFI road, what system would fit but be better then the useless stock EFI out of VK's? and on that note also how hard is it to install/ how much does it cost to install the delco 808 ECU, and what are the benefits of putting that ECU into the car: eg. what other options have I got to add to this system?

Another question, what are the laws in Australia of street vehicles with ultra lightweight flywheels? of course having a ballistic bellhousing and/or shield in place. And from what I've heard older 6cyl holdens had a tendency to rattle lightweight flywheels lose if you work them enough?

What would be a good diff ratio with lsd for a 6cyl worked abit

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
the VK EFI manifold is a decent bit of gear. If you really want you can bore out the throttle body opening and fit a bigger throttle body. But the standard throttle body should accommodate a reasonable amount of power.

It's just the old Bosch L-Jetronic engine management system that is crap and not tune-able, hence the suggestion of a Delco 808 conversion.
You can modify a Delco fairly easily and cheaply to be a real time programmable ECU. The Delco Hacking website is the place to find out more info. They also have a good thread in the archives regarding a VK EFI Delco conversion.

There's no laws in place in regards to lightened flywheels. I haven't heard of any dramas with them on Holden 6's. I wouldn't go the ultra light versions anyway, as you loose drive-ability. Only really suitable on dedicated race cars, where flywheel momentum isn't important.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Why work the 202 to get pissy gains.
Every p plater says its my car ill do what I want etc...
Your not going to make any real power, you'll just turn it into an unreliable dog.
Why not just get it completly rebuilt, chuck some new fuel injection set up on it fix the brakes and have a clean perfect running vk.

Wow only 113,000km hey do you think the car has only been driven 4000kms a year or the odometer stopped working about 20 years ago?

l Stuey l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 1985 3.3l
Why work the 202 to get pissy gains.
Every p plater says its my car ill do what I want etc...
Your not going to make any real power, you'll just turn it into an unreliable dog.
Why not just get it completly rebuilt, chuck some new fuel injection set up on it fix the brakes and have a clean perfect running vk.

Wow only 113,000km hey do you think the car has only been driven 4000kms a year or the odometer stopped working about 20 years ago?

Well good thing i'm not a p plater hey? I am going to strip it down and do a complete rebuild, I want to know what my goal is, and what can be done to get the maximum power out of the poor 202. And yes only 113,000km, car on deceased estate, bloke who picked it up had it garaged til he sold it to me. odometer still works btw.

l Stuey l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 1985 3.3l
It's just the old Bosch L-Jetronic engine management system that is crap and not tune-able, hence the suggestion of a Delco 808 conversion.
You can modify a Delco fairly easily and cheaply to be a real time programmable ECU. The Delco Hacking website is the place to find out more info. They also have a good thread in the archives regarding a VK EFI Delco conversion.
Okay so I have to get a hold of a VK EFI manifold, and probably get a hold of a vn/vp because it sounds like a lot of parts can be used for the VK. I'm going to use my VT brake system on the VK, but by the sounds of it need bits and pieces off different model commodores to make the brake conversion simplified. Ill check the delco hacking website now.