Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK SL power steering

VK85SL

Reaction score
Members Ride
1985 VK Commodore SL
Hi guys, I have just purchased a clean 85 VK SL as a long term project car and one of the first things I want to do is add power steering. I have read helpful threads here about things I need to have this installed however my question more around the fact that eventually in the long term I'am looking at an LS1 or LS2 conversion and I wanted to know whether I can install a setup now which will still be compatible with either one of the engines above and at least this way it will save me time and money by putting in VK power steering for now and having to replace it again in the future.

Any help would be much appreciated.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Generally better to use later vn-s v8 crossmember & p/teer rack with ls conversion as they're more compact.

If using early vb-k crossmember better to keep compact manual rack as early p/steer chunky as hell even too tight to use on efi 5l conversions with pacemnakers.
Manual racks also at good moving rack over to make for exhaust & starter motor if using m6 & custom extractors.

I'd keep what you have now check suspension is good condition & get wheel alignment..they still steer nicely with stock sized tyres. Early P/steer has less feel to them