Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VK stalling on take off

natalie89

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VK, Commodore VN
Hey everyone!

Im new here and not sure if im posting this in the right area lol
My dad bought me a VK commodore back in April, there a quiet a few things wrong with it but as my dad is no longer talking to me i have no one to help :(

I know a lil about cars (i have fixed most of the cars prob so far) just terrible with diagnoising the problems so here goes:

New motor is in idles fine but after stoppin or slowing down when going to take off i have to baby it like it takes a good minute to get it up to 60kms or i have to flatten my foot and pray it doesnt die, 7/10 it stalls and im left to roll through intersections and with only one brake light n no hazards it can freak me out a bit!

Also there is a small rapid ping/tinging sound coming from under the hood i dnt know if this is related or not!

I dont have a lot of money so its a slow project for me but im really trying as i love this car soo much and couldnt bear to part with it but i am supposed to be leaving for a 1300km trip in 2 days and as is its in no way ready for the trip

Any advice or help would be much appricated, i dnt know how this site works but if people want im willing to provide a contact number

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Is it a manual?

If it isnt manual and you stalling it, it is probably flooding when you plant it, if it is a carby, it isnt meant to be planted, or itll flood...

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
omg dude...

just dont

Let me re-phrase that, If it is a POS stock VK 202 carby, it isnt meant to be planted, or allow any air in, give any economy or help in the production of power fullstop...

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Could be your carburetor float (assuming it is a carby) and possibly timing way out.

Some more info on your car will help. 6 or 8, carby / injected etc

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
My carby can't get any worse

you have a carby?

what derek said. this car needs a good tune. from the sounds of it it hasnt had one for a while. also OP can you tell us what sort of level of "car talk" you can understand? i.e. if i explain how to set your base timing without a test light, would you know what i mean?

codfishface

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK SL - 79 VB 253
If it is a carb variety, sounds like a major vacuum leak to me.

Get somebody to check the inlet manifold for leaks. Might just need a tighten.

Look for hoses leading to nowhere on/near the carb.

Not only will vac leaks cause the mixture to be lean, but will reek havoc with the computer controlled spark.

TVS's (thermal vacuum switches - 2 on the carb side of the head) could be borked.

As derek mentioned, the floats are notorious for sticking/absorbing petrol on these girls.

Also, could be in "Limp Home Mode" if your EST is on the fritz. There will be a light on the dash lit up with EST showing. No chance of doing 1300k's if this is the case.

Really need to know if it is carb or injected tho.

Last edited:

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
-pointless post-
Lol ari you make me laugh.