Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN cranks but wont start!!!!!!!!

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Hi there peoples

My Vn Calais is temporarily having starting issues. On the rare ocassion ( ie at coles), my car will crank but not start. I usually wait for 30mins for the car to cool down and it'll start again or when my mum arrives and jump starts the car.

Ive been told that it could be my 'crankshaft angle sensor' by my uncle but im wondering if it could be something else. Any suggestions?

Also, the engine has a habit of stalling while driving long distances. Unsure if this problem is caused by the same thing.

Much appreciated for everyones help
Brendan

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Highly likely to be the crank angle sensor they tend to play up when they get hot throw some water on them or let it cool down they'll work again

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Cheers mate!

Im going down to bursons to get a new crankshaft angle sensor. Hopefully it resolves my problems. Have you had the same problem with your car?

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Yeah, definitely sounds like a CAS.

When you get it, make sure you tell the person that it's a Series 2 VN. They're different CAS'.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
have fun removing the harmonic balancer u need a half decent puller for that. i have a big arsed puller if anyone wants to change one in perth

Jonno5695

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn calais s2 3.8
Hey there,

My Vn calais cranks but won't start, New crank angle sensor, New coil packs, done, fuses and relays, New fuel rail, it just doesn't kick over? Anything suggestion on what could the problem?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
Hey there,

My Vn calais cranks but won't start, New crank angle sensor, New coil packs, done, fuses and relays, New fuel rail, it just doesn't kick over? Anything suggestion on what could the problem?

you getting any injector fire or spark to the leads? have you explored the anti theft system? you should have a key next to the boot release button in the glovebox. sometimes they play up and cause the anti theft system to come on. is the dash blinking "press key" when you try to start the car?