Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn Exec

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I have a 89 VN exec, did they only come out with speakers in the dash?

Also what would be the best way to get better speakers in there cause there only small?

Does it take much to cut holes in the back shelf to put 6x9's in?

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
The base model VN only come with front speakers.

You can get them out but it can be rather tricky and the chances of breaking the speaker grille is very high no matter how careful you are.

As for the back shelf, I used a jig-saw to cut the raised bits and faced them length ways. If you want I can take a picture of how mine look in the car.

I found it fairly time consuming but then again it was probably me just thinking that was the case as I hate doing it for some reason.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
You have two ways to remove the speakers, the first is to pry the grill BUT you WILL break it. I don't recommend doing this. The other is as follows

1/ Remove dashboard cover (if fitted)

2/ Drop fuse cover down (it is best to remove panel so it does not get damaged, remove by prying the black pin on the left hand side out by using a large flat blade screw driver and twisting the blade behind the black pin's head.)

3/ Undo 2x screws holding the trim onto the side of the dash nearest to the doors.

4/ Undo 1x screw at the lowest corner of this trim (hidden where the fuse cover was) and remove trim carefully.

5/ Using a torch locate 4x (sometimes only 3x) screws in the side of the side air vents where you have just removed the side trim. You will find two of them down small long holes, thus the torch. This trim should then just about fall out, do not force it because you may have missed a screw.

6/ Remove the glovebox in a similar manner to the fuse cover trim, the black pin is on the right hand side inside the glovebox.

7/ Follow steps 2 to 4 as per the drivers side but the lower screw for the side dash trim is in a slightly different position.

8/ Remove trim that runs along the top of the dash just under the windsreen at its bottom. Usually 5x screws (I think, its been a while). Then pull this trim up be carefull not to snap it, watch out if it has a little black dot in the centre you may have to disconnect a wire! ( the later models came with a two piece assembly) You can miss this step, but do so at your own peril!

9/ Remove the foam from beside the speaker grills if they are still there, and yes they do crumble.

10/ You should be able to see a silver screw undernieth the speaker grill, remove this screw from both speaker grills.

11/ Being carefull lift the front of the speaker grill up and pull towards you to remove.

12/ Most speakers have 3x screws coming in at an angle to secure them to the dashboard, remove them and lift the speaker up.

13/ To remove the wiring slightly pry the sides of the connector at the speaker on some, others just have a two pin plug a little further down the wiring. Remove speaker.

This is the best way to remove the front speakers without breaking anything!

Re-fitting is in reverse, obviously!

Kind regards Guy

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
sorry to disturb the party but i have been told by alittle blue birdie that if u cut holes in ur back shelf it is an instant defect, because u are cutting away the chasis, i only found that out last night so. just thought i would let u know

cheers

chuck

Reaction score
Iv'e been told the same by a mate that installs car audio,but they very rarely inforce that law .

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
hey people, just looked at the old girl in the back yard, well, i can say that it should already come with cut out's for speakers' in the back shelf, all you need to do is modify the parcel tray, of course, if that dont work, get some spacer's. spacer's arnt realy the best of options i reckon they look ugly, but i dont realy see how cutting the back parcel tray, (that realy thing brown wood stuff, not metal) could be of any cause for breaking any current road law's or rules. if soemone out there does know any better, feel free to correct me.

cheers
garth

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
I have also been told that cutting any structual part of the car, without re-enforcement, is against the road rules but make sure you bolt/screw your speakers/spacers down properly else they are also illegal due to the possiblity of them flying foward in a prang and hitting someone in the head. Cutting the rear parcel shelf board (cardboard/wood etc) is not against any law that I've heard of but the metal section just might be. I would possibly sugest that you check with your states Main Roads Department.

Kind regards Guy.

D

d hsv

Everyone who has said you'll break the speaker grills: You are absolutely right! I was so careful when I did mine, but I still broke one. Bloody bastards of things.