Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn shortend struts???

Turbo51

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo vg
Need to replace my front struts in my vn need shortend ones

Ive got some new standard ones to machine down but needa know how much to machine down to suit superlows

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You replace the inserts....you can buy off the shelf short stroke shocks (inserts) which are suitable for the lower springs

Turbo51

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo vg
Yea ive replaced many inserts and always just brought off the shelf shortend ones but ive got a set of new standard ones and a guy who can machine them was just curious who else has done it that way and how much have they machined them

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A shorter stroke shock is the same length as a standard shock...If it was shorter in length, the cap that holds it in place wouldn't hold it tight, so you'd have a rattle.....The difference is how far the stroke of the shock travels.....So it's not a case of machining a standard shock to do the job.

Turbo51

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo vg
I was always lead to believe that they machined where the tophat bolts on witch sortens it to fit superlows (where I circled)

Attachments

• IMG_2641.JPG
    IMG_2641.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 96

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Think about it....If you were to machine that section, you'd have to recut the thread area to get to that point.....

But the short answer is, it is a shorter stroke to accommodate the lower springs