Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn v6 starts then dies after a few seconds

allan01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman 185i
happened first time this morning as i was leaving for work, checked fault codes and got code (24 No speed sensor pulses when engine between 2000-4000 rpm,
throttle closed, high vacuum, not in neutral and all for 5
seconds) would this code make the car play up like this ?.. Car was fine all yesterday but i did get a SPD light on the way home in the rain But the light turned off after a while so i assumed it was just the wet weather, i have another speed sensor from a t5 v6 5speed box that looks the same will this fix problem or is it the crank angle sensor playing up and it just has not shown any code ?

Any help would be awesome cheers

allan01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman 185i
i am starting to think this is a fuel problem although the filter should be new as of 4 months ago, i cant hear any noise coming from the tank so now im worried the tanks full of crudd and blocked up the filter orrr the pumps shagged.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
check all your fuses and relays first before you go soaking yourself in petrol.

allan01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman 185i
Yeah that was the first thing i check yesterday, but i will be double checking everything before i jack it up this afternoon

allan01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman 185i
Checked everything relay, fuses, pump, filter, vacs, map sensor, fault codes, has fuel pressure.. now it idles but if i try to rev it dies. Any help would be greatly appreciated because its stuck in the driveway to our complex and i will have to get it towed to my parents house if i dont get it fixed soon.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
How's the cat and the rest of the exhaust?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
should check the voltage coming off you alternator, make sure theres not a massive draw or its spiking. check your earths, make sure something hasent come lose. dfi or coil pack related, history on them? also wouldnt hurt to take off your throttle body and clean out all the oil and burnt carbon deposits, make sure your vac ports are free and clean, and the IAC isnt clogged with ****.

allan01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman 185i
exhaust is new just replaced it, checked pretty much everything. i dont know the history on the coil packs and dfi modual so now i will check but then i am going to change the crank angle sensor as a last resort.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS UTE (BOGAN EDITION)
Like Hi_ryder said chuck a couple good earths from the battery to the engine and one to the body and see how it goes, sometimes this is all thats wrong

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec