Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN V6 vs VS V8

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I just finished making a memcal for my brothers VS, it had the HSV 185kw chip in it but I thought HSV were a bit conserative with that one so I made a new one, with a bit more juice and a bit more old school spark map. Well we were taking it for a drive, hard to tell how much more power because we didn't time anything, but in theory it's a good program and had plenty of turanza burning wheelspin leading into bouncing off the rev limiter so it was going ok. I made some outside observations to see the exhaust smoke on the top end of the rev range and after the gear shifts to see how rich it was and it looked spot on to me, felt plenty of base in the exhaust pulses in my rib cage from behind the car too, nice one : ).

Anyway the real point of the story is that we jumped straight out of the VS and into my VN, my goodness how slow it was, I used to think there wasn't much difference between them 0-100 but it's massive, my speedo was in super slow motion compared to the V8 that was just ripping through to 100 in a couple of instants :|. Makes you wonder if it's worth keeping the V6 at all after such a day, very disheartening

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
if you put more VE in a hsv cal its gonna be way rich, HSV WOT is normally pretty fat anyway
Rob

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Hi Bob, I changed the whole spark map, base on what engine analyser told me because it seems to be able to calcuate that fairly spot on and it allways ends up very close (within a degree) to what HSV makes on their most extreme memcals without the little dips they put into some heavy load areas. I added some more VE only on the very top end around and after the peak power because the car is getting some good 4-1 extractors one of these days, the rest of the map I left as it was. but I added a bit more fuel right through the range at WOT and close to WOT, pretty much similar to the old school HSV cars so yeah it will be running richer than it needs at the moment but I hope not enough to slow it down, it's running well anyway.

Probably have to wait a few days to see if it goes heaps better at night in the cold air to know, because I've realised if you don't have enough juice you wont go super fast in the cold night air like you can if you run richer than you need in the day time