Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN - VP Faults

90lxcn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 lexcen
Hi,
I'm a new member trying to fix up my beloved VP.
Bit of history; Still running the original mechanicals after all these years & was until recently a gr8 car.
Had LPG fitted in late 07 professionally & it still went well, even when towing.
On a recent country trip while towing I had the typical Aussie accident, argument with a western grey kang.:(
Result: 1 guard, 1 door & 1 aerial binned. But the car still got me there, it was the return home where the problems started.
Leaving Melb running on LPG,there was an almighty BANG.
On quick inspection realised that that air-box had blown completely apart & the tubes for the intake were not in better condition. Quick patch up & back on the road. Only to find out that it would no longer run on LPG & while having to use Unleaded was like driving a truck. No economy or acceleration what so ever.
Finally got it home & the car wouldn't drive up a sloping road, without stumbling, coughing back & eventually dying.
But would idle & free rev. Put it in drive - stumble, cough, back fire & die. On both LPG & ULP
Reverse seems to work ok.
Cars not over heating.
So I replaced the following; ECU, Coil pack, Crank sensor, Map sensor, Plugs & Leads.
Still getting the same results.
Checked the ALDL with the paper clip & get code 12 No problems.:yeah:
Can anyone help me with some ideas on what could be the problem.
It starts & revs but stumbles in drive & dies when put under load like light acceleration away from a standstill.
I don't want to take it to a dealer as they charge too much for too little just to tell you what's wrong, then bankrupt you with the cost of parts & labour.

did u disconnect the battery for abit to clar the codes before testing?
also tome sounds like a transmission issue

old cars rule

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equipe Sedan, VR & VS Stretched Utes
I did disconnect the battery when changing any of the electronic parts, so the ECU was cleared of the fault codes.
I worked out that it could be a trans issue as I went drive it to an Auto electricians.
It would only reverse up a steep hill ( with excellent throttle response ) but in drive, it stumbles & farts with any attempt at acceleration.
Moral of the Story. When towing loaded car trailers long distance on really hot days. Get an extra trans cooler fitted.
P.S. I also listed this problem as under "Wiring Questions --> VP Ignition/ Engine Managment Problems"
So yer it looks like I need a new trans.
I was hoping it wasn't but looks like it. Lucky a mate has a wrecking yard & a couple of VN trans.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the trans wont make it cough and splutter under load ide say fuel supply or spark issue.reverse will be ok as its a different gear ratio and wont be putting the same amount of load on the engine.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I've seen this problem in other cars before, it could be due to the way your engine/trans is twisting in reverse as compared to in drive. The car I'd seen this in would be fine in neutral and reverse, but die in any forward gear. It was the engine twisting away from the wiring for the ignition system in first gear, and half pulling the plugs out (very soft engine mounts). Put it in reverse and the stiffness of the wires would plug everything back in!

Something to think about...

ghog1726

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Exec
i also had a very similiar issue and it turned out to be my map sensor, try that altho if u replaced all ur intake lines etc u prob replaced that already.

old cars rule

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equipe Sedan, VR & VS Stretched Utes
The problem has finally been fixed.
The incident with roo started the problem with one of the LPG components loosening up from its mounting screws.
The screws are also an earthing point.
This in turn caused an intermittent earthing fault allowing the injectors to fire.
That combined with several faulty wires going to the dying coil pack caused the back-firing & other ignition problems.
So all in all it took 3 days with an Auto Electrician to back track the faults & fix everything.
Car now runs excellently so I just have to replace the airbox. Trans seems ok for now, with the extra cooler so I'm back to keeping it going.

TOOBAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP SS Commodore
Doesn't seem like these links are working anymore? Anyone had any luck?

silver88vl

No milk and juice here
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Berlina 5L
just tryed myself link for vn doesnt seem to work anymore either

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
I agree... the websites are no longer there... this is **** as it would have been good to have it copied over to our servers! grr..

aZk.