Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn-vs Fan Speed Resistor Removal

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
1/ Remove rubber trim strip from the plunum chamber cover (in front of wiper arms).

2/ Remove 13mm nuts from wiper arms (1 each)

3/ Lift wiper arm at its elbow and then lift the wiper from behind elbow to lift off of pivit point. Remove wiper arms. Note wiper arms usualy have a 'D' and 'P' (Driver side and Passengers side), if not mark them.

4/ Remove 15/16" plastic nuts from both wiper arm pivit points (1 each).

5/ Pry windscreen wedges out from under both lower corners of windscreen (if wedges are fitted).

6/ Lift black plenum chamber cover up at the front near firewall, squeeze the sides of the black cover in and lift some more from the front. Working from one side pry at the corner nearest to the windscreen up slowly (watch the washer hose on passengers side). Work your way across the windscreen until fully removed, if you have any difficulty at any point start at the other side. Remove plenum chamber cover from car.

10/ Undo 2x silver screws from fan speed resistor black cover (the smallish cover to the passengers side of passengers wiper arm pivot in plenum chamber well). Remove black cover. This may require prying to loosen seal.

11/ Undo 2x screws from white fan speed resistor cover and remove cover.

12/ Undo wiring at the rear of the fan speed resistor wilst holding resistor down.

13/ Lift fan speed resistor.

With climate control units pull white cover off first at step 11 (usualy it has black tape on it) then undo screws holding Fan speed amplifier in then remove wiring.

N

NZ5.0VR

unsure how to proceed

Hi, i have been having the same problems with the fan in my VR as others have described, so it bought a 2SD1297 Darlinton transistor with diode, then followed your instructions on fitting, but was unsure about wiring into the original plug.
the new transistor has three prongs sticking out the bottom of it, and the original one in the car had been removed at some stage before i got it so there is just a plastic plug with four sockets ( only three of which have wires to them) the wires are blue, black and yellow.
i tried the transistor the way i thought it should go and the fan ran all the time even when the ignition was switched off, also the new transistor got really hot.
i tried it in another position and it only worked in speed 3, so i removed the transistor and the fan still only works on speed 3 but it doesn't run when the key is off.
any suggestions?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
93 vr executive

hey guys, my vr is giving me some problems with the blower fan, i bought the car about 2mths ago and the resistor needed replacing so i got one from the wreckers (2nd hand) and it was working for a few weeks, then it started playing up, not switching on when i wonted it to, turning on 5mins after i switched it on, only speed 3 and 4 on the control would work, so i bought a new one. Its now 4 weeks since i got the new one and its not turning on straight away. I Asked the holden guys and they said to get a auto electrician to check your car out. i just wont some of your opinions before i spend the money for someone to look at it.

nzcapricev8

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr caprice v8
Dam . Just did all these steps. Turned on climate ac and nothing . Yes I put fuse back in . Dam Caprice