Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN's VP's Dynos and stuff

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
These days my VN is running fairly good, I'm getting a bit of a reputation for having a fast stock VN :p. I havn't found another VN yet that can loose me under acceleration. Now remember that guy I know with the blue VP that he wiped out on a gaurd rail the same time as the guy here in this forums did? Well he got a job at the local Dyno shop (but doing a non dyno job) so he had his VP (320,000km's) on the Dyno, it's just stock with a cold air cut out under the air box and ducting going to the front bumper + budget extractors + free flowing and crapy sounding exhaust :), He pulled 105kw on the Dyno before the cold air was installed. The dyno guy reckons that was pretty good for a VP with that many ks on it, I was almost keen to have my VN on the Dyno but there's not much point because it's faster _and_ heavier than his VP so it must be doing allright.

Anyway I burned him a new chip based on the current one I run in my car today, he took it for a test drive and came back and said that's the one! (we tried another one yesterday but I had some better ideas last night so made another one). It gave me some pains since his car runs LPG and I had to hex edit for a while to find and change what I wanted. Well the point of the story is. how much power should he be pulling now on the Dyno if my tuning skills are getting any good? 110? 115? 120?, Whats the most power a VP with only exhaust mods has been known to pull at the rear wheels so I can get an idea of what to aim for. Im not at all confidant that his max power has changed but I know the low and mid range will have because the thing accelerates faster :p but anyway, what is possible?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Should also get em to check his AFR's while it was on the rollers to see if your 'chipping' skills are up to it.
AirStrike :air:

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
My car is only got extractors, chipped. It has 119kw at rear wheels.

Cheers,
Jim :cool:

cracker

Reaction score
120 at the wheels i find that hard to belive

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Airstrike he hasn't had it back on the dyno since the chip, the 105kw was pre chip. It would be interesting to plug the o2 sensor in it to see what fuel ratios are giving the most power, not that it's really important to get it exact because you wont loose hardy any power if it's running a bit richer than perfect but you loose bulk if it's too lean, anyway I hopeful of his car getting close to 120kw sooner or later, I've worked it out in theory to gain .3 or more 0-100 you have to be adding more than 10kw somewhere or everywhere through the rev range : ), I've gained like .5 0-100 in my car, that must be worth at least a second over the quarter

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
cracker said:
120 at the wheels i find that hard to belive
Roller Dyno figures are just a broad estimate of power, not actual, especially in shootout mode, most useful for tuning though.

My mates VS stroker in the same state of tune has been on 4 different dynos and received 4 different results, 196, 182, 202 and 220rwkw.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Toa, have you seen these VN stats?

http://groups.msn.com/commodoreclub/hsvstatsvn.msnw

The SV3800 times vary so much, My VN will do 8.1 or less with the stock sv3800 chip in it on warm days every time, it will go down under 8 at night time but look at the other tests 8.78/9.1 how possibly can there be that much difference? that's so much slower, maybe the test driver was like 120kgs!? do you think there is really that much variation between one VN and the next? because that's got to be a huuuuuge amount of power gone missing, one full second!, I can't imagine anything in the engine being built so crooked to loose that much power, how can you be down 20 or 30kw's from one brand new production engine to the next

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
No I had not seen those stat's before, interesting, but they could've been auto and manual times mixed in there. Also some of the cars could've been fresh off the floor and some may have had a good few thousand kays to loosen up a bit.

I didn't have the opportunity to test many VN's and alike out back then when they were new, but I have tested many of the newer commies out. And even today there is a huge difference between cars of the same calibre and vintage, I have video footage which shows up to maybe a 4 or 5 second difference 0-100 between the same model VY commy execs, and that is huge.