Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP 5.0 losing power

BradCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP SS rep
Hey guys.

this isn't TOO much of an issue for me, but i would like to get it sorted out none the less.

car runs fine and makes acceptable power when the engine is running under quarter temperature, but as soon as it gets to running temperature it seems to lose a bit of power say 10-15% of its go, and also if i give it a bit of a squirt even just a quick one and say bring the engine up to 4500-5000rpm the motor starts to squeek, (im guessing from a pulley or something...... (BTW timing is retarded because of gas system in which i have recently removed) but im pretty sure that wouldnt cause these issues...

thanks for any input guys..

-Bradley

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Mine runs at 1/4 temp most of the time.

On hot days when I am cranking the aircon it will go to nearly half and the power loss is noticeable.

Prob not much you can do about it unless you overhaul your cooling system.

The noise is probably a loose belt.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Mine actually runs a little faster when warm, but I'm probably running a bit too much timing when it's cold

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
yeah my car is quite a bit faster when cold - although i don't like to push it when it hasn't warmed up yet. i think the manifold suffers a lot from heatstroke. my car runs at about half temp with a 91 deg thermostat. i don't really like that so i might put the 88 deg back in which had it in between 1/4 and 1/2. i can't remember noticing a difference between the 2 though power wise though :p