Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP 5.0L calais not charging

FCCOOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore,VP 5.0 calais, 2x59 FC,
My wifes VP had a intermittent charging problem, sometimes the gether and other times just the charge light would come on, the problem was first noticed nearly a year ago.
we replaced the aternator and it seemed ok for a while, then it started getting flat batteries with the charge light occasionally coming on, this seemed to be fixed for a couple of weeks with a new battery but then it got a problem with the reds flashing at a constant rate, this problem came and went but happened frequently and flashed at a rate simular to a indercator flasher can.
in then seemed not to bad for a couple of weeks but now it just wont booster back but as soon as you remove it the motor dies.
the charge light stays on
alternator was brand new about 7 months ago.
any ideas?

VpV6

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP II Executive
Still sounds like the brushes are worn out / the regulator is stuffed.

If your sure the alternator is still o.k. then its probably best to start going through the wiring loom and checking for breaks.

Good luck!

FCCOOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
the brushes would want to still be ok, the alternator has done 3000 k's since new. regulator is ofcourse the same age as the alternator.
its a pain to find a brak in, everty thing is cleaned with wd and retitened at the alternator and battery.

FCCOOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
FCCOOL said:
My wifes VP had a intermittent charging problem, sometimes the gether and other times just the charge light would come on, the problem was first noticed nearly a year ago.
we replaced the aternator and it seemed ok for a while, then it started getting flat batteries with the charge light occasionally coming on, this seemed to be fixed for a couple of weeks with a new battery but then it got a problem with the reds flashing at a constant rate, this problem came and went but happened frequently and flashed at a rate simular to a indercator flasher can.
in then seemed not to bad for a couple of weeks but now it just wont booster back but as soon as you remove it the motor dies.
the charge light stays on
alternator was brand new about 7 months ago.
any ideas?
gee I must have been pissed when I wrote this
last bit should say-
It then seemed not too bad for a couple of weeks but now it wont charge period, It will run with a booster pack on it but as soon as you remove the booster the motor dies.

FCCOOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
does any one know any one who knows much about these cars, I am a old holden person and am not really into them, we just have this car becuase my wife wanted a V8 commodore, its a bit modern for my liking and has just been a expensive pain in the arse to keep on the road.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
The EFI V8 is usually pretty easy on the hip pocket - there's not much to go wrong with them. So it's surprising to hear someone having ongoing troubles with it.

With regards to your charging problem, I still think the problem lies with the regulator/brush assy. The only items involved in the charging system are the alternator, regulator & brush assy, cables and the battery. A simple question, but what is the alternator belt tension like? Should be about 12mm deflection at the mid-point on the top run. The belt isn't slipping by any chance?

When you replaced the alternator was it new or reco'd? Also, are sure the regulator & brushes were new as well? It's easy to check the brushes: Disconnect the battery and unscrew the regulator & brush assy from the rear of the alternator. Check the travel length of the brushes (minimum is supposed to be 4mm but it can start failing well before then - mine started giving trouble at 7mm travel). Check the condition of the solder joints as well. New brushes are less than $10 if you can solder them yourself, or a new regulator/brush assy is about $40. If you're handy with the multimeter and want to check the operation of the alternator or regulator then PM me because I have the factory manual for the VP V8 with me.

Apart from that the only things left are the cables and you say you've already given them a clean. Did you give them a sanding as well? Corroded terminals won't make solid contact. Sand ALL mating surfaces at the positive and negative wire connections at both the alternator and the battery. If no good after all that then you've got an intermittent continuity problem in the cabling somewhere between the alternator and the battery. It's probably being exposed simply by vibration of the engine or bumps on the road.

Let us know how you go.

Mark.

blowera1

FranticTicToc2
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute 3.8l M5
was the alternator a recon or a brand spanker if it was a recon check the regulator for wear i just had the same thing on my vn :wave:

FCCOOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
brand spankin new bosch alternator, new belt, terminals are brand spankers and battery too,
I have tried a couple of belts since I thought maybe I had glazed them, pulleys have been sanded over and over, previous alternator seemed to load up the belt, it still squeaks now and then with quick revs buts there is now no charge at all, if you disconnect the battery booster pack it dies instantly, it did work for a while (couple of months) when I put the new stuff in but now its dead.
I have a multi metre and a 100w solder gun and 25w iron.
I heard once these alternators might work of a pulse from the computer, is that true?

the actual motor itself has been good, ive kept good oil in it with frequent oil changes to try and keep the pick up from clogging.
things like the master cylinder, the one in my FC holden went and cost $12.00 to fix, with the VP it was near $300.00 to do it as cheap as possible, would have been more if Iwent for one in a genuine parts (red) box
I also have a vr that had a minor trans problem that cost me more to fix than it cost me to purchase, rebuild and beef up the trans in my FC.
a head light for the FC new is about $19.00, for the calais its about $70.00 used, a tail light lens for the FC is about $14.00 new and they NEVER fade and are easier to find new for a 57 holden specail than a 93 holden calais,
starters and alternaters are picked up at swap meets between $2 and $10 for the red 6, pads for the hr disc brake front end are $35.00, fuel filter $5, coil $30-$40 or $2 second hand etc etc. the tail lights have gone clear and hoodlining is caving in on the calais and its only12 years old.
mark I might send you a pm after I go for another look.

VpV6

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP II Executive
By any chance did you short out any of the battery terminals / alternator terminals with a spanner / otherwise when installing it?? Ie got a spark.

If so you could have blown the backing diode in the alternator, this will result in it not charging.

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
Check the charge wire at the B+ terminal. (I can't remember if that's the one, check them all and be suspect of any wire that looks even mildly distorted.) I believe it's common with VNII-VP v6's for the charge wire to melt and expand with the heat that channels from under the alternator from the exhaust manifold.
When the wire expands it doesn't allow for any charge to get through, from the alternator to the battery. however when you take the car on very short trips when the car doesn't have enough time to heat properly it manages to get enough of a charge to keep it going for next time. Also take note if the car cut's out when it's hot but manages to restart a little while later when it's cooled a little. That would be the telltale sign that it's the charge wire from the alternator to the batt. If it is, replace it with a thicker one and you shouldn't have the problem again.

Good luck, I hope I'm right, for your sake :p