Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp brakes

heny154

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP clubsport
okay guys , brakes on my vp clubby suck , I was having trouble for a while with brake drag and turned out it was the master cyclinder , have replaced and doesn't drag but I believe it has damaged the rotors , put head spots on them etc because the thing just doesn't pull up real well anymore , better to chuck some decent slotted rotors and pads on ? Or do the vt brake upgrade ? What's it usually worth ??

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Can't go past a VT brake upgrade in my books....I did this with my VC and even with cheap ass rotors it is a big improvement over the standard brakes

heny154

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP clubsport
How much drama was it ?? I've seen there is kits available ??

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Straight bolt in....Worst part is undoing the flexible brake line from the hard line.....

You unbolt your old calipers from the hub, including the flexible brake line.....Remove your old rotors....
Fitting the new set up, the hub adaptors replace the old rotors, so it a reversal of the procedure....Place the VT rotor on the hub adaptor....Bolt the new VT style caliper on....Straight forward bolt on....Put the new flexible hose on....The flare on your hard line doesn't match the VT flexible hose, hence getting the new flexible hose....Bleed up and away you go

Not sure where to get the kits from as I bought my parts seperate....ie, the hub adaptors and flexible brake lines through ebay, the calipers from a mate, the rotors from a spare parts store and the brake pads were given to me.

Should take a whole hour out of your day, depending on how much you want to drink inbetween.:)

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
im doing this upgrade to my vp. it depends what series your vp is too, i think they switch from inverted flare to round style flare on your brake lines after series 2. youll know by the way they look. also if your doing the upgrade its recommend if you go with metal braided flexible lines that you do the whole car. if not doing all the flexible lines just go with a rubber lines for the front. i bought the safebrake braided kit for vp with vt front upgrade. not sure whats its worth now though, around the $300 mark i think (all lines). if you want to do the conversion on the cheap just go to a pickapart or what ever local wreckers you have to get all the stuff, booster/master cylinder and calipers.

heres my vp with the conversion hubs ($200 for the pair, + new wheel bearings $50 for pair, get some high temp bearing grease, a can or 2 of brake cleaning solvent, and new split pins) used a cut off wheel to clearance the brake dust shields too. (also disregard the braided line in this photo, they were for the standard vp calipers, sent me the wrong ones and i had to exchange them)
IMG_20170111_122754_zpsyvkqredb.jpg

wheel bearings
IMG_20170110_141545_zpsw7ugnx7u.jpg

inverted flare old line, round flare new line. i converted all the hard lines throughout whole car to round flare because the aftermarket brake line companies dont really cater to the older cars.
IMG_20161222_170323_zpsfusxft8q.jpg

vt discs with vt calipers, safebrake vn-vs to vt front braided lines (round flare available only as far as i konw). theyll bolt straight up with only trimming your dust shields as a mod for clearance. i bought seal kits for these calipers too so they have all new rubber on pistons, dust cover, and slide pins. obviously i just test fitted for photos theres no pads installed yet.
IMG_20170111_132939_zpsjzg1vxdn.jpg

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
Hoppers Stoppers , i've have been thru them for kits for my VH VL and WB tonner neat and affordable brake upgrades without braking the bank or over paying for a Harrop kit .

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hey Ryder, what size discs are you using on your conversion?

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
Nobody has mentioned booster or master cylinder. I did the conversion on my VC using a booster off a VS and master cylinder from a VZ. You can also use a VT booster but requires a fabricated bracket to fit, VS booster bolts straight up. If using the VS booster cut the head of the adjusting screw off and screw the remaining part of the screw in flush after adding some Loctite. I found after the conversion that my rear brakes were locking and I fitted a proportioning valve in the rear line. You need the VT to VZ master cylinder as it's a quick fill type as required for VT calipers. I used an AU Falcon reservoir but there is a Holden one you can use but I don't know the model. You do this so the reservoir sits level, the VT reservoir is on too much of an angle.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I can do the vx booster/bracket to fit your car...done a lot of them.....ive given up using secondhand cylinders...they are too old and will leak....EVERY one I get from the wreckers even from vys have a stain on the bottom of them from a leaking cylinder....however it doesnt get inside the booster like the old ones did and bugger the booster . Also the first series of vts had longer brake hoses that will work ok on a vp and wont break the bank...you can tell by the bracket at the inner guard...if its on a 90 degree angle it is ok....the ones that are too short are at 45 degrees
Also dont use discs with straight cut slots....they will make a whiring noise when stopping from high speed...use curved ones I use the rda ones with dimples and curved slots

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Nobody has mentioned booster or master cylinder. I did the conversion on my VC using a booster off a VS and master cylinder from a VZ. You can also use a VT booster but requires a fabricated bracket to fit, VS booster bolts straight up. If using the VS booster cut the head of the adjusting screw off and screw the remaining part of the screw in flush after adding some Loctite. I found after the conversion that my rear brakes were locking and I fitted a proportioning valve in the rear line. You need the VT to VZ master cylinder as it's a quick fill type as required for VT calipers. I used an AU Falcon reservoir but there is a Holden one you can use but I don't know the model. You do this so the reservoir sits level, the VT reservoir is on too much of an angle.

I must be fortunate.....I'm using the standard 15/16 VC master and booster and have rear discs on mine....Had no issues to date.....IMA I do have a recoed 1" master sitting here ready to fit one day