Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp Cd Deck Fitting

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
i have left a post in vp on installing a cd deck in my vp, left it in there before i realised that this was the place to leave it so i will write it here ,, i have a vp and it has standard cassete deck and two front speakers,, i want to have a cd deck in place of the standard unit and replace the 10 cm front speakers with sony ones and then put sony 22 cm ones in the back, there are no holes cut yet so is the procedure to pull out the carpet on the back shelf ,mark out the template and cut holes from the top with jig saw or do you cut from inside the boot,.also there are two white plugs hanging inside the boot at the top i assume these are the plugs for the rear speakers in the standard wiring loom.is the olsd cassete player easy to get out and put in a cd deck.auto barn here in adelaide want 180 dollars to do the fit but i would rather do it myself if its not to hard and save the 180.dollars
cheers
fergi

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
If its a higher model (SS or calais)? hopefully i can help you, read below.
if its not then it would be a very similar process except some steps wouldnt be relevant. you can remove the panel from the top of the handbrake speratly from the whole console. i am not sure if that gives u access to stereo thow.

With the Calais/SS
1. open the armrest next to your left arm and remove the two retainers holding the units together with a pair of pliers.

2 Remove the ash tray.

3. Pull the power window controls out and move the whole panel up and above the handbrake and gearstick.

4. Remove cigarette lighter & lighting cable.

5. Remove trim surrounding stereo & Climate control /AC(the darker outline plastic)

6. Remove the screws holding the bracket which holds the stereo in.

7. remove the old unit (theres some screws) and then pull the unit out.

9. remove the arial from stereo
8. try and mark the wires with some maskingtape covering their bare wire at the ends.

by the way you should have removed the negative battery terminal long before doing this

Install the new headunit, matching the wires correctly.

Test it works and then put it all back together in the same order.

By the way, the hardest bit isn't pulling the stereo out, its wiriing it up correctly.

I can post pics if ya want.

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
just a quick question, what are you cutting holes into?? if there are no holes for speakers on ur back shelf to my knowledge if u cut a hole in their it is a instant defect. a way around this is to go to ur local hardware store and buy a piece of mdf cut ur speaker holes in their and carpet it and do what you want to it. oh yeah if there are no speaker holes present, you will need to jack it up, i'm not sure where you buy them but i know that they are called spacers, and they will jack the bit of wood higher. hope this makes sense

cheers

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
A VP that doesn't have rear speakers?
Hmm, well I'd go and get a parcel shelf from the wreckers, make your own, or cut holes into the existing one.
It won't defect you car as they are aval on the higher models.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
I wrote a part for the HOW-TO section on removing the stereo head unit in the vn-vs so look there for the way to remove. I also believe that someone here has already explained how to remove the door trims if they are the speakers you wish to change. Can't remember if the VP has the speakers on the top of the dash (I think so but) , if so I explained how to remove them the other day to someone here asking about their removal, sorry but have a look around.

As for the rear speakers you will have to remove the rear seat out (bottom section first then the back rest) to remove/modify the rear parcel shelf. Be Warned though that cutting the actual metal, I believe, is illegal but unles you get a major defect notice or your stereo is cranked up full boar then you will most likely never have to worry about it.

Using a piece of MDF will help get better sound anyway and you should be able to get the speaker spacers from a good Automotive aftermarket spare parts supplier such as Supercheap or Autobarn, I even think you can order them through REPCO.

Hope this helps to some extent.

Kind regards GUY.

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
thanks guys for the info, the local mechanic up this way told me that all you have to do is use a special tool like a flat piece of metal,,,,special tool,,,, and then press it in either side of the radio and it pops out..seems too easy ,any one heard of that method,then you pull out the deck and all the wires are long enough to work with,this would be nice if its so
any thoughts
cheers fergi

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
From past experience the Fords like this method (cost me $15 for the tools) not too sure about the vr-vs Commodores but see if your stereo unit has two holes either side of the head unit, if it does then you might be able to use the tool. But I think most genuine head units where installed so that they where hard to remove. The vt's have a tool to remove their head units though.

The tool is in the shape of a flat based U and made out of 3mm solid rod/wire.the legs are 63mm long and the base is 38mm wide. The very ends have a little round head on them (if making one, file an indent about 3mm from the bottom of the legs on both sides of the rod as you look at it flat on the ground.)

This might help so give it a go.

Kind regards Guy.

M

mickey

Yeah it SHOULD be straighforward to mount a cd player... except that F#*kin nut that they put right at the back to secure the head. Do what Manic says, you can remove the original mounts from the original head (drill required) and rivet them to the new head unit. Did this with my VP and it looks pro.

Oh instead of a proper tool, I recommend broken hacsaw blades with a dash of electrical tape. (saw blade + fingers = blood)