Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr efi 304 conversion into a vh commodore

Mixtecs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
I'm attempting a 304 conversion into a vh I have a complete vr commodore auto as a donor car just not finding much info on the vr conversion only a lot on vn. What I need to know is what power steering rack and steering can I use, can I use standard exhaust manifolds. What loom do I need. I have had all the vats removed from memcal and what do I need to do with the tail shaft so pretty much everything any help would b much appreciated

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Its all the same as a VN except you need to use the earlier rack ends as a VR is a wider track.

There will be some small wiring differences as well.

Mixtecs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
Ok cools if I change the ends over on rack I should be right and can I run standard exhaust manifolds and I've been told I need to change the steering arm ?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I've got a VR manual harness in my VH, VR K-frame and VS steering rack
I just used the VH tie rod ends, and a VL intermediate steering shaft to adapt the VS rack onto the VH steering shaft

I have Pacemaker headers, but the VR manifolds will fit fine. Exhaust shop will be able to modify your exhaust system to fit the manifolds as the outlets will be in a slightly different position to the VH ones.

If you look carefully at firewall (engine bay side) just above the passenger side chassis rail there should be a dimple. If you drill your wiring harness grommet hole in that location it won't foul with anything inside the cabin. I have A/C in mine and it's a close fit, but it fits.

Tailshaft may need modifying if you are running the T700 or T5. It's usually easiest just to swap the front half of the VR shaft onto the VH shaft, ensuring you maintain the correct phasing (ie front uni position in relation to the rear). I'd also highly recommend getting the tailshaft balanced after that.
You'll need an adapter rear crossmember for the gearbox. You can either make your own or buy one from the likes of American Autos, Castlemaine Rodshop or Dellow

Mixtecs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
Thanks heaps mate that's the answer I needed yeah I'm running a t700 and will prob get the pacemaker headers thanks again big help how'd you go with the wiring I've got the vats removed from memcal is that all I need to do ?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
yeah as long as the VATS is disabled you'll be good. I've got a Kalmaker SP3 in mine, so it wasn't a drama
Wiring isn't overly difficult. There's a few battery, ignition, earths and relays to hook up. I wired the VR loom into the main harness connector on the VH located on the drivers side near the brake booster area. Put a few relays up behind the drivers side headlight. Make sure you get your hands on the factory workshop manual wiring diagram, if you follow it you really can't go wrong.

You'll need to run a 5/16 fuel return hose and of course hook up an electric fuel pump. Don't forget you'll also need a fuel tank with a swirl pot eg VL-VS. VL tank is a straight fit, VN-VS you need to modify the fuel filler neck. Not difficult though

Mixtecs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
Thanks heaps Darren yeah ice got a complete vr donor car and also a workshop manual thanks again for all your help can't wait to get it underway

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
The other trouble you'll run into with the VR T700 is that it has an electronic speedo sensor not mechanical like the T700 from a VN. I did the same conversion in my last VH and used a cable X box (bought it from the US) which converts the electric pulse to mechanical. this way you can keep the original VH speedo. Other option would be to run a new speed that accepts an electrical pulse from the gearbox. If I remember right, the latter is what Darren runs.

robpet741

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT LS1
yeah as long as the VATS is disabled you'll be good. I've got a Kalmaker SP3 in mine, so it wasn't a drama
Wiring isn't overly difficult. There's a few battery, ignition, earths and relays to hook up. I wired the VR loom into the main harness connector on the VH located on the drivers side near the brake booster area. Put a few relays up behind the drivers side headlight. Make sure you get your hands on the factory workshop manual wiring diagram, if you follow it you really can't go wrong.

You'll need to run a 5/16 fuel return hose and of course hook up an electric fuel pump. Don't forget you'll also need a fuel tank with a swirl pot eg VL-VS. VL tank is a straight fit, VN-VS you need to modify the fuel filler neck. Not difficult though

What rack ends did you use? doing a VC conversion using VR as dona.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Use your originals vb-k