Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr ute with ecotech conversion won't fire

GOOD'OL'BOMBODORES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hey guys, can't seem to find an explanation anywhere so thought I'd throw this up and hope I could get some answers,
So I've recently bought a vr ute with a vs ecotech conversion, kept the vs engine loom and replaced the ecu and bcm with the vs ones along with keyhead, now I can get it to turn over fine, at first I can't hear the fuel pump, but after turning for a little while pump starts to work, here's where things get confusing, when pump starts to work I get fuel spray out from where hose meets fuel rail, now I've changed the hose and little o ring on the rail thinking that's all it was but still same thing, I've also fried another bcm trying to start it, so I'm on the 2nd bcm (lucky I had 2 spare vs sedans) and when I say fried I mean, windscreen wipers are in the off position to work and on position to stop, no dash lights, blinkers, head lights only worked once and haven't worked since, even with new 2nd bcm headlights won't work everything else works again but dash and headlights,
Also don't know why but I kept blowing number 10 (I'm pretty sure) fuse under dash (ignition fuse). Had the ute 3 months now and only has 3 months rego left so kinda want it running before it runs out. Hope you guys are able to help really would love to know what I've done wrong and how to bring it back to life again, its left me stuck for ages now.

GOOD'OL'BOMBODORES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Was on gas with the old vr Buick motor but 90% has been taken out, still some wiring and gas switch but nothing works? Don't know if that could be an issue or not either.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Did you buy it like that or did you do the conversion?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Did you change dash wiring as well ?

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
The VR and VS BCM wiring is different, but the plugs are the same.
If you have just plugged it in to the VR wiring, that will be causing all sorts of issues.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The VR and VS BCM wiring is different, but the plugs are the same.
If you have just plugged it in to the VR wiring, that will be causing all sorts of issues.

Won't stop it running though as the BCM and ECU aren't linked for VATS like the VT.

Another thing to look at is the oil pressure switch, if the ECU doesn't detect oil pressure when cranking it will switch off the fuel pump. If that signal comes via the BCM and the wrong BCM loom is used, I guess that could cause non starting.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
Won't stop it running though as the BCM and ECU aren't linked for VATS like the VT.

Another thing to look at is the oil pressure switch, if the ECU doesn't detect oil pressure when cranking it will switch off the fuel pump. If that signal comes via the BCM and the wrong BCM loom is used, I guess that could cause non starting.

The VR and VS use a different start enable handshake, so it will definitely stop it running if security is still enabled.

Also, the fuel pump will run regardless of oil pressure, the circuit through the oil pressure switch is a backup if the relay does not get turned on the by ecu for some reason, not a oil pressure cutout.

Double check that the wiring connector is plugged in near the ECU, it is roughly 30cm from the ECU connectors if you follow the harness back to the firewall. This connects engine and body harness together for things like BCM communication.