Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 5 litre Engine light. Need help!

Pig304VsSSute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS ss ute series 3
Recently bought a VS ss ute s3 and have currently got 4 engine light faults.
Code 13- Oxygen sensor.
Code 36 - Vacuum Leak.
Code 94 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) - Manual Transmission Code.
Code 97 - Canister Purge Solenoid and/or Circuit.

Recent experiences;
-Idle not steady, increases to 1300rpm then decreases back to 600rpm everynow and then.
-Car completely cut out twice after accelerating, starts up again 1 minute later.
-Hesitations during acceleration (not smooth)
- Possible rough high acceleration.

Have changed coolant temp sensor, knock sensor, ignition module, oxygen sensor, new extractor gaskets, and new exhaust. Cleaned throttle body and idle speed motor.

Please help!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You have vacuum leak somewhere & possibly dying o2 sensor.

First fix vacuum leaks then a reset will probably fix several faults...if lucky might be the 2 small hoses/pipes from cannister to throttle body.

Speedo still work?

VSS fault can come up intermittently,on gtr would pop up if on steady cruise up a hill rarely did a slight stutter/miss but sometimes when slowing to a stop would stall all because no sensor hooked up & was still using factory 6cyl that didn't have getrag slip yoke with tooth fgear on it.

Just my 2c

Pig304VsSSute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Checked for vacuum leaks, even with start you bastard around the intake plenum to see if it increases rpm, but nothing. Replaced oxygen sensor with new. Im thinking ignition coil or hall effect sensor. If not could be ecu related.

The car was factory Auto and has now been converted to manual with a T5 gearbox. The Auto Ecu has a ChipTorque memcal chip in it, I believe so it can run with the manual. My reverse light wires are shorting out and blowing the fuse.( I know the cause of that) Another forum said that could cause the VSS code, not sure why.
The speedo works but jumps up and down very tiny increments but you can see it.

Pig304VsSSute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it all stock? Including air box?
Stock air box, pacemaker extractors, upgraded leads, gilmer pulley kit (I want to replace with stock pulleys) otherwise all stock.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Think reverse lights/purge solenoid maybe something else too run off same fuse...finding what's faulty or earthing out could solve several of the issues particularly now it's not factory set up but one that's been messed with.

Ah so it's actually vs s3 auto car that's copped manual t5 conversion..time to do some digging over wiring diagrams.

Another thing probably wrong but getrags possibly maf sensor ecu run different type of speedo signal to earlier vn-vs & I'm guessing yours also has manual memcal loaded into your original.

May want to get on pcmhacking.net to help better sort out mix n match thing going on...maybe fancy corrector box can fix but it's definitely over my head haha

Pig304VsSSute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Think reverse lights/purge solenoid maybe something else too run off same fuse...finding what's faulty or earthing out could solve several of the issues particularly now it's not factory set up but one that's been messed with.

Ah so it's actually vs s3 auto car that's copped manual t5 conversion..time to do some digging over wiring diagrams.

Another thing probably wrong but getrags possibly maf sensor ecu run different type of speedo signal to earlier vn-vs & I'm guessing yours also has manual memcal loaded into your original.

May want to get on pcmhacking.net to help better sort out mix n match thing going on...maybe fancy corrector box can fix but it's definitely over my head haha

Yes they do run a different speed sensor between the T5 and Getrag, which gets me thinking thats the cause of the VSS code. The car is still running the auto loom aswel. I dont think its one problem. I definitely think theres a few engine problems to be sorted, then the VSS is a completely different issue.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The VSS signal missing will be the biggest problem. You need to have the VSS Input turned off, because the ECU has functions like lean cruise, converter lockup, fuel cut on overrun etc which won't work without a speed signal.

You may find that more than one of your codes will be caused by the lacking speed sensor once you get it tuned correctly. It's common for them to stall on overrun (when coming to a stop) too when they're not set up for the manual, and as you describe the idle fluctuates.

I don't believe a getrag tune will work either due to the differences in VSS signal. I went through that when I converted my VS to manual a few years ago.

The s3/vt Pcm is different to the others and is more like the v6 unit and it seems not as many people know how to (or are willing to) tune them unfortunately. Dunno why