Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 5 litre Engine light. Need help!

Pig304VsSSute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS ss ute series 3
UPDATE:
Rewired the reversing switch to the gearbox and put new fuse in.
The reverse switch is on the same circuit as the cannister purge!
Faults Vacuum leak, Oxygen sensor have now disappeared.
The car is driving a lot better!
Now just to clear faults VSS and cannister purge solenoid. No idea why the cannister purge solenoid didnt clear with the new wires considering its on the same circuit as the reverse switch.
In the process to see if the auto to manual wiring conversion is done properly.

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The info below may (or may not) help you with your VSS problem:

upload_2017-3-22_19-11-9.png
upload_2017-3-22_19-12-27.png

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Think will need corrector/convertor box to properly fix vss fault being different signals or as EYY said turn it off.

You'll get there after some more homework.

Pig304VsSSute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update:

Found brown wire with white strip just snipped near the gearstick. This is apparently engine light lamp and must be earthed.
The cannister purge fuse keeps blowing FUSE 9. Must be shorting out somewhere.
Have all 4 fault codes back. Not good :(
Will check wiring asap.

Pig304VsSSute

Reaction score
Members Ride
The VSS signal missing will be the biggest problem. You need to have the VSS Input turned off, because the ECU has functions like lean cruise, converter lockup, fuel cut on overrun etc which won't work without a speed signal.

You may find that more than one of your codes will be caused by the lacking speed sensor once you get it tuned correctly. It's common for them to stall on overrun (when coming to a stop) too when they're not set up for the manual, and as you describe the idle fluctuates.

I don't believe a getrag tune will work either due to the differences in VSS signal. I went through that when I converted my VS to manual a few years ago.

The s3/vt Pcm is different to the others and is more like the v6 unit and it seems not as many people know how to (or are willing to) tune them unfortunately. Dunno why

A forum said that the speedo and the vss signal has to be put in pin D2 on the outside pink plug of the ECU. Is this correct?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
From memory it's the violet and white wire. I'll link you to a vs s3 diagram.

Post no. 2. Look at the auto diagram - the manual one below I is irrelevant.
https://www.pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1352

Your ecu should have '531' as the last 3 numbers. If it's 424, that's an old ecu and somebody's done something really dodgy. Also, ignore any info about vt s1 - the pinouts are too different.

CEL doesnt need to be earthed, it needs to be hooked to the CEL and earths to turn the light on

Pig304VsSSute

Reaction score
Members Ride
From memory it's the violet and white wire. I'll link you to a vs s3 diagram.

Post no. 2. Look at the auto diagram - the manual one below I is irrelevant.
https://www.pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1352

Your ecu should have '531' as the last 3 numbers. If it's 424, that's an old ecu and somebody's done something really dodgy. Also, ignore any info about vt s1 - the pinouts are too different.

CEL doesnt need to be earthed, it needs to be hooked to the CEL and earths to turn the light on

Yes my ECU is 531 at the end.
Sorry what does CEL stand for? Im guessing you mean the brown white strip wire? Wheres that ameant to be hooked up to?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Cel stands for check engine light. I doubt that'd be under your shifter, it'll be something else, maybe to do with the cigarette lighter plug or 'power' switch.

If your check engine light flashes with pins 5 and 6 bridged on the diagnostic connector the CEL wiring is all good.

Pig304VsSSute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cel stands for check engine light. I doubt that'd be under your shifter, it'll be something else, maybe to do with the cigarette lighter plug or 'power' switch.

If your check engine light flashes with pins 5 and 6 bridged on the diagnostic connector the CEL wiring is all good.

Lol well that was dumb. The brown white wire was cigarette light illumination. That likely why the Fuse 9 blew because it runs off ignition.

Ill look at getting the VSS input removed from the ecu. Will this effect my car performance wise?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Ok now this **** starting to hurt the brain.

MAF sensor means vs s3 then it's easier to look at vs ecotech 3 plug ecu diagram,virtually same just add 2 injectors....basically same if trace your ecu to wiring diagram
C6 -Blue/W(white trace) Auto trans vss high signal
D6 -T (tan) Auto trans vss low signal
C5 -V/W is after ecu to bcm then speedo
C4 -G/Y Cannister purge solenoid,other wire says fuse #9(???) P wire

v6 manual ecotech diagram to vss (t5 maybe???)
B/W -earth
#12 fuse P/B to sender
D2 Vehicle Speed Input (man trans)

vr/s v8 MAP sensor 2 plug ecu diagram(doubt you this but check anyway)

B5 -Blue/W(white trace) Auto trans vss high signal
B6 -T (tan) Auto trans vss low signal
C12 -V/W is after ecu to speedo(according to diagram)

Trace & decipher what you actually have...still think if got t5 vss you're going to need convertor box to change signal to suit vs s3 auto ecu/bcm unless a nerd can fix it in memcal *shrugs*