Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs 5ltr won't start

Leej88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
Hey my vs 5ltr won't start was running bad and wasn't on all cylinders could feel cold exhaust pipes and others where hot now it won't start at all I changed the lead from the coil to the dizzy and still nothing could see faint spark from one spark plug but others had nothing any ideas or help would be great thanks

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The most common reasons for V8 Holden-engined Commodores not starting are ignition module, coil, and Hall Effect Sensor (HES). The ignition module is the easiest to test/replace if you can get hold of another one or get a lend of one. Reconditioned versions can be obtained for around $100. Coils are relatively cheap but a bit of a bugger to replace. HES replacement is the worst as you need to remove the distributor and either replace the HES or install a new distributor, and then replace the leads, adjust the timing and so on. Personally I would start with the ignition module as they are quick/easy to fit and you might be able to get a working used one cheap off eBay or similar.

Leej88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
I have spark and fuel and no codes come up with the paper clip trick if ignition gone would I have spark?

lars04

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr statesman 304
Had the same problem not long ago and a smart bloke told me a weak spark is as bad as no spark at all. My car wouldn't start and I had the same problems changed spark plugs and bam! It fired up

Leej88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
It's not a weak spark at all it's firing good and after trying to turn it over a bit then pull plug it has fuel on it

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Just because you can see it spark doesn't mean it isn't weak. Ignition behaves very differently under compression. It may even be an intermittent problem.

Also, it doesn't mean that it's sparking at the correct time.

Leej88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
So what would u advise I do first

Leej88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
Can I upload photos here to show??

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS UTE (BOGAN EDITION)
if you have spark at some of plugs but not all get a set of plugs and leads and clean your distributor cap and rotor