Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs commodore coil pack testing?

Humaine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe
I did try this and I found the the ignition module 3/6 was faulty. The spark would come off 3 but not go to 6, it shorted back to its casing. So I got a replacement module and my car is running great now. I had a friend check my spark plugs and he mentioned that I may need to replace them, so that's my next mission.

Thanks hako for the suggestion.

vaxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S1 Sedan, VR Ute
Is the MAF sensor ok?
I'd be inclined to go for that if the sparks are all good

fwaggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.7 A4 Wagon
I did try this and I found the the ignition module 3/6 was faulty. The spark would come off 3 but not go to 6, it shorted back to its casing. So I got a replacement module and my car is running great now. I had a friend check my spark plugs and he mentioned that I may need to replace them, so that's my next mission.

Just to dogpile on this, when I lived in the USA I had an Oldsmobile with the same "Buick V6" in it (smaller bore and transverse mounting, but looks identical otherwise), and I did the "bush test" for the ignition coils and replaced one, only to end up with no improvement. It turned out it was what they call the "ignition module" - the flat part the coils sit on, I think Holden people call them a "DFI module". Replaced that and the old coil and it ran great for ages, kept the new coil in the boot just in case.