Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs commodore turns over but won't start! (No codes)

Sonzcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 3.8l commodore sedan
Help? I was driving along the other day and my car just stopped on me and wouldn't re start, I noticed fuel pump not priming which was odd as I have only put a new one in bout 2 months ago, anyhow I put another one in and still the same problem, checked wiring fuses relays ect all good ? There are also no codes coming up, thought maybe something to do with immobiliser as I have heard that can stop your fuel pump priming on ignition. My key still locks and unlocks car with security light doing the norm so could it be the bcm itself? If anyone can help or suggest anything that would be great. Vs v6 auto sedan.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
if the starter is cranking then its not immobilizer....check if there is spark if so then move onto fuel...check the fuel pump is getting power, maybe a connector is loose or faulty....

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
check for power at the pump, ask someone to listen around the tank to see if its priming when switching to ignition. if not, the pump is wired thru the oil pressure sensor, this is a safe guard if you loose oil pressure it shuts down the pump to prevent damage.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
the pumps can fail again if they arent submerged. If you have run it dry a bit, then you may have killed the new pump?

I had the same issues on the SS I just bought, new pump & filter (and a repair to the return line) and its back running smoothly again.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
I'm just throwing it out there but wouldn't it be the crank angle sensor?
Someone please confirm that one for me... I don't own a V6 and forgot the correct info for the V6's

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
ipswich - on the right side of the tracks
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
did you buy an aftermarket fuel pump? I had the same issue , search my threads and you find my intermittent problem , and the headaches i went through to solve it.

mattdog12

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Exectutive Commodore(Sedan)
Could be a number of things.

Does it start again once cold? And does it stall once the temperature rises? If so then pour cold water over the Crank Angle Sensor(hidden behind the harmonic balancer on the right hand side looking from the front of the car) and see if it starts again. If so then it needs replacing

Also check the resistance of your sparking leads with a Multimeter and check for sparking. If you're not getting spark it could be that your DFI Module(The plate underneath the coil packs) could be buggered.

And check your F.Pump relay as well to make sure it's not burnt out.