Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Grinding/Scratching Noise on Cold Start

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
i really feel sorry for you mate.could it be a water pump?someone smarter than me may have the answer.post the thread everywhere.i have a vt and i love driving it but i have never owned a car that gives me so many headaches.there always seems to be a noise or vibration that i'm trying to identify.my mechanic reckons i'm paranoid and that it's the best commodore he's ever worked on but ive spent thousands of dollars on the thing and one thing's for sure my next commodore will have a ford badge on it.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
I'm going to go with a flywheel/flexplate issue Nath.

TY318

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL 202
hmm that almost sounds very much like what mine did i sent my car to the mechanics awile ago and i replaced the motor the old one with the noises had bent push rods and when i started that up it sounded like crap but it eventually went away and then came back and so on

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
maybe i'll put thicker oil in it see if that dampens the noise at all. should at least give an indication as to whether it's internal or not

bloody things barely even cracked 200,000kms surely the engine is alright

Jarryd F

Reaction score
Members Ride
S13 Silvia, VR S2 Exec, VX equpe, VE omega
does it make a slight grinding noise when taking off when its cold, or if you take off slowly with some load on it, ie up a hill? My vr used to do it, it would make a slight grinding/rubbing sound. I ended up changing the flexplate and all the bolts and the noise has gone away.