Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs master cylinder rebuild kit???

Turbo51

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo vg
Trying to find brake master cylinder rebuild kits for vs v8 1" cylinders anyone know if or where to buy one

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
VS models don't have a 1" master cylinder. From the Holden Service Manual:

"Unlike VR Series Models, a common master cylinder with a 7/8" diameter bore is used on vehicles with standard and ABS brakes. The only difference being that the master cylinder used with ABS has a screw in blanking plug installed and tightened into the lower of the two front brake outlets in the master cylinder.
The only other difference in master cylinders between VS Series Models is that the Utility Model does not have a proportioning valve incorporated into the master cylinder design."

I did purchase a rebuild kit some time ago. I'll see if I can find the informationn and add it to this post.

Purchased off eBay in 9/2013:

Seller: brandsonly2009 ( 5394
iconGreenStar_25x25.gif
)
Holden Commodore VS & Statesman 1995 - 1997 Master Cylinder Minor Kit 210J0290

Last edited:

Turbo51

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo vg
So they only come out 7/8"? I was under the impression they had a 1" witch had pbr stamped on it, does anyone know what they ran on the ss then surely they would have upgraded to 1" for them

Cheers for the help

Turbo51

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo vg
Also how do i tell what ive got I know its a vs but any jnfo would be great

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
So they only come out 7/8"? I was under the impression they had a 1" witch had pbr stamped on it, does anyone know what they ran on the ss then surely they would have upgraded to 1" for them Cheers for the help

No, 7/8" across the range. I had the standard master cylinder on my VS Calais V8 383 with AP Racing calipers and 330mm rotors and never had a problem. However, I recall reading that people who upgraded to VT calipers and rotors on their VS cars also needed the VT master cylinder, I think, due to pedal travel issues. Other member can verify if this is correct.

VTs all had the 25.4mm (1") master cylinder across the range. If you post your VIN we may be able to give you some information about your car.

Turbo51

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo vg
O na its just a dirty old turbod up v6 vg ute thought it was time to upgrade the brakes

I just hada vs master out of a vs ss and wasn't sure what it was cause theres no stamping on it like vn's do on there masters

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I put the VT brakes on my VS ute with the std master, the pedal was long and a touch spongy but then the pads bedded in and it feels the same as before.

Its probably less hassles to just buy a brand new PBR master from an auto store.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah but a new one for sure. Get the job done in a third the time and likely to work better as well.