Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 hard to start, runs rough. Running out of ideas

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
had similar prob with no thermal paste on DFI,... wouldn't start when did ran rough... Put paste on and bang like new.

Sorry to jump in, But what thermal paste would you suggest?
And how much is too much?

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Not sure you can have too much, but it would be a waste if it was squeezing out the sides.
A thin smear of generic Jaycar thermal paste was what I used, spread out with a credit card.
For laptop computers they suggest only a grain of rice size blob and spread it with a credit card.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
thermal paste is to be installed microns thick
it is to fill micro porosity in the metal
any thicker becomes an insulating blanket
you should be able to see through it

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ, LN167 Turbo Hilux, VSII Ute
Been a while since this post but had a death in the family and a bunch of stuff to sort out so this got put on the backburner for a while.
Finally got stuck back into it the last couple weeks and managed to make a bit of progress. I originally dismissed the injectors as the problem because i had already replaced them with a new set but it turned out one of the new injectors was faulty, appeared to be working and pulsing like the others but had a really weak spray, got that replaced and now it starts first time every time and drives a lot smoother, however still idles a bit rough.
While checking electrical connections I was using a noid light on the injector plugs and the idle smoothed out a little when i unplugged injectors 3 and 4 individually, not perfectly smooth but better than before, I expected idle to get worse so i thought this was a bit odd. Could it be overfueling maybe?

Ive also done a compression test and was all within range and ive since swapped the Crank, Cam and Oxygen sensors so apart from Knock sensors there is not a single original sensor on this engine that isn't brand new or swapped from a perfectly running vehicle. Also checked DFI and spark is strong from cold to hot.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
where did the injectors come from
if ebay
throw them in the bin and get a used set from the wreckers

Reactions: Lex